Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London
(03-18-2019, 11:30 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: One of them travels to compete in the marathon and does not stick around.

That's not referring to me and my mother, is it? :P I recall telling you my mum has taken part in rather a lot of the marathons and we went to London three? years in a row in recent times, although not this year.

--

There's definitely a different feeling you get by being in London, different to being in other parts of England and even Britain as a whole. Now I'm more used to London and the Underground and all that, once I get into London I'm in the 'London Zone'; you've got to be prepared for London's 'ways' otherwise you're just going to get overwhelmed, like I used to feel when I visited prior to actually living there for a teeny bit. Two summers I spent there working, and on my days off I made sure to visit various places of interest and also just places where I could sketch. After all that there are still plenty of places in London I haven't visited! It's so convenient never being too far from a Tube and being able to get from A - B without too much difficulty. There's plenty going on all around to keep things interesting. Could I live there for longer? I'm not sure. Probably for a bit, for ease of getting places, but I think on balance I need somewhere I can better switch off and then visit and enjoy London in smaller chunks (as I do now - although come to think of it I haven't been back that many times the last few years through one reason or other). Also air pollution. D: My experiences there have generally been positive. I did happen to be staying there when the London Riots were going on >_o which changed my route to where I was staying for a bit. That was a bit of a dodgy time. I was also there for the Olympics, although sadly didn't see any of it myself! 

Might get back to this thread with what sights, etc. I personally recommend and don't recommend at some point.
* O P F U I T *
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia
[-] The following 1 user Likes Opal Fruit's post:
  • Shiny Star
Well, today marks the 160th anniversary of one of London's most famous landmarks. On this day in 1859, Big Ben struck the hour for the first time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-48924345

Sadly, it wasn't really in any state to mark the anniversary, since the entire clock tower is undergoing a massive maintenance project right now. Though, it'll be nice to see it when it's completed in 2021!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Apparently, there was going to be a tulip-shaped tower in the City of London, next to the Gherkin - but, its planning application was rejected:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48989805

Good. It has very little floor space, and I just find it ugly :( .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items