Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitler's paintings fail to sell
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47189155

Five pictures said to have been painted by Nazi leader Adolf Hitler have failed to sell at auction in Germany.

Weidler auction house hoped to raise €45,000 (£40,000; $51,000) from the most expensive work.

The auction was held in Nuremburg, the German city once notorious for Hitler's mass rallies where leading Nazis were later tried for war crimes.

Accusations of forgery marred the auction and city mayor Ulrich Maly described it as being in "bad taste".

The sale also included items said to have been owned by the dictator, including a vase and a wicker chair with a swastika on its arm.

Yeah, there's certainly an interest in these (more for the name than the quality of the artwork), so I expect the suspicions of forgery hit them hard.

Of course, even without the accusations that some of them were fake, the whole exercise was controversial to begin with. I wouldn't have a problem with them being sold to historians, but if I was in the position of the auction house, I wouldn't want them being sold to anyone connected to the far right - so, perhaps it's for the best that they didn't sell....
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Shiny Star
lol of course they didnt sell in germany, theyre super ashamed of their past

it'll sell like hotcakes in usa though
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
to be honest hitler wasnt the worst artist that ever lived, he actually did a fairly decent job if being serious.  Though i would have to agree its held in poor taste, especially the location chosen, though had all the sale proceeds gone to a worthy cause it might have been ok.
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrieferLord 's post:
  • Jarkko
(02-10-2019, 06:24 PM)Crooked Crow Wrote: lol of course they didnt sell in germany, theyre super ashamed of their past

it'll sell like hotcakes in usa though

Australia too.
We have way too many Nazis here.
My Awards
x1
My Items
If anything. the man would've done great as an artist if it wasn't for his warped ideaology that he's forever hated for.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
I don't know what his career would have been like as an artist: to me (as a non-artist with no authority in the field whatsoever) his paintings look fine, but apparently, they weren't good enough for the academy.

Though, he certainly wouldn't be the worst artist ever - and, even if he was, that would have been nowhere near as bad as going down in history as one of the most evil dictators ever!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Why Weidler auction house thought the paintings would sell I have no idea. 
It would sell easily in the U.S sadly though. 
We are slowly repeating history.
My Awards
My Items