Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carmeltazite found on Earth for first time
Israel https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-fr...e-46816297 Israel

[Image: w967Ja7.jpg]
(Source: Shefa Yamim / Above article)

A mineral - previously only known to exist in outer space - has been found on Earth by an Israeli mining company, Israeli newspaper Haaretz reports. 

Carmeltazite was added to the official list of known minerals this week after being approved by the International Mineralogical Association (IMA).

Taub Avi, CEO of the precious stone exploration company Shefa Yamim, said it was discovered by the company in volcanic rock in northern Israel's Sevulun Valley.

The mineral was founded embedded in sapphire, the second hardest mineral after diamonds. The largest stone found so far is 33.3 carats.

It was named carmeltazite due to its discovery near Mount Carmel and the minerals it contains - titanium, aluminium and zirconium.  

That does sound like quite an unusual mineral :O . Since it contains titanium, aluminium and zirconium, I can't imagine large quantities of it forming naturally, so I suspect it's very rare. 

Apparently, the sapphires embedded with this stuff are going to be used to make jewels. I wonder how they'll look?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
That’s gorgeous!!
[Image: 530-90_5a5abe88d1223.jpg]
A simple love
The saving kind
The clueless sadness tries to feast on sand
Please believe this, try to know
That we will save you then

Obsessedwithbirds 
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
fascinating, even natural alloys can be found. though i can see the earth having deposits. after all meteor impacts
[Image: 4ec9ce99-7e23-4885-9086-b80b8dc6247f.png]
[Image: 50cd8dba-af3c-43b3-be34-aa0a9c7ce5ad.png]
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if there were at least a few more deposits from other meteorite impacts. However, since it's taken this long to discover any at all, I'd expect any such deposits to be very small and isolated (it'd have to be a very expensive material to make mining worthwhile!)

I'm not sure whether it has any properties that would make it useful in industry, but even if it does, it'd probably be easier to just make it :P .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items