Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British English (and sarcasm)
United Kingdom https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846467 United States 

Britons like to think they have a "special relationship" with the US, based on a common language and cultural, historical and political ties.

But, according to one of the UK's most respected polling companies, there's one chasm the English language can't always bridge - the British love of passive-aggressive statements.

In the words of YouGov, "half of Americans wouldn't be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot".

YouGov showed a number of common British phrases, including "with the greatest respect", "I'll bear it in mind" and "you must come for dinner", to Britons and Americans.

"While not all the phrases show a difference in transatlantic understanding, there are some statements where many Yanks are in danger of missing the serious passive aggression we Brits employ," YouGov said.

I have to admit, I'm surprised about "with the greatest respect". I thought the meaning of that (and similar phrases, such as "With all due respect") was well-understood on both sides of the Atlantic!

I'm not entirely sure about "I hear what you say", though. After all, "I disagree and do not want to discuss it further" and "I accept your point of view" aren't really mutually exclusive (in my mind, 'accepting' a point of view doesn't require agreeing with it: respectful disagreement is still 'acceptance', according to my understanding of the word) 

Of course, I'm sure there will be things about American English that Americans generally 'get', that are lost on us Brits - so, I'm inviting Americans to post a similar list of American English phrases whose meanings may be difficult for Brits to understand :lol: .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Yep, we Brits are a snarky bunch, and probably proud of it :P
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1
My Items
That’s some pretty cool research. I feel like you need some more context to understand some of those phrases though and there isn’t always one specific meaning to them. The differences in percentages show variations between slang and culture, which is a nifty thing to be able to see. I’d definitely agree with that ‘With the greatest respect’ saying though but I wouldn’t say it’s as harsh as calling someone an idiot, more likely their actions to be somewhat foolish.

Passive aggressive for sure hahaha.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach
as a unit of transcendent sarcasm i can pick up on the passive aggressive jabs in those sentences instantly.  After all its an artform throwing shade in a polite comment that almost no one understands.
[Image: 4ec9ce99-7e23-4885-9086-b80b8dc6247f.png]
[Image: 50cd8dba-af3c-43b3-be34-aa0a9c7ce5ad.png]
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items