Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fibre from carbs reduces heart disease risk
Bad news for low-carb diets
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...tudy-finds

Eating more fibre, found in wholegrain cereals, pasta and bread as well as nuts and pulses, will cut people’s chances of heart disease and early death, according to a landmark review commissioned by the World Health Organization.

The authors of the review, which will inform forthcoming WHO guidelines, say their findings are good news – but incompatible with fashionable low-carb diets.

The research is led by Prof Jim Mann’s team at the University of Otago in New Zealand, who also carried out the major review that informed WHO guidance on curbing sugar in the diet, leading to sugar taxes around the world.

Sugar is a “bad” carbohydrate, but fibre is found in “good” carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread and oat-based muesli. However, the overwhelming backlash against sugar has led to popular diets that reject carbohydrates, including the fibrous sort that can, say the scientists, save lives.

If you're interested, the original study is here. Also, if you're wondering how to get your recommended 30 grams of fibre, here is an article with some suggestions.

Plenty of lovely foods on there, so it shouldn't be hard to do this and still maintain an enjoyable diet :) !
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Known something similar to this for a while now. Maybe a year or so?
[Image: 400?cb=20190621170454]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 6/9) | Fanfics. (updated 6/15) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
Wholegrain bread and oatmeal are staple foods of mine. :)

I've known this little blurb about it being good for your heart for a while.
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarkko's post:
  • Shiny Star
Seems like I get a lot of fibre in my diet as it is. I eat all of the foods on that recommended list quite a lot. I even had bananas in my cereal today.

Thank you for sharing this. It's important that we treat our bodies with respect and remain healthy.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach