Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civilization games
Well, the 'Gathering Storm' expansion has been released now - and, the early reviews seem to be rather positive about it:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/02/11/c...orm-review

The expansion has won praise for the wide variety of leaders available (the total's now up to 45), as well as the new mechanics (e.g. Natural Disasters, World Congress, and Climate Change). According to the review I linked, these make for a more dynamic late game where there's more stuff to do (when, previously, players might have been on auto-pilot while coasting to victory). So, I'm definitely interested in getting this :D .

Trouble is, it costs £34.99 :O . That's way too much for an expansion, even if it's a very good one! I'll wait a bit for the price to come down.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Okay, so there's something I need to rant about.

Earlier today, I was playing Civ 6, and I was at war with Russia. They were quite a bit stronger than me, but they had a small and weak city (Olonets), so I decided I would send a few boats over and capture it under their noses. It was a little bit tough - but, in the end, I captured the city.

But then, I got a notification saying I was the target of an emergency. Apparently, Russia had 30 turns in which to re-capture the city of Olonets - and, if they managed it, then they would win a pot of 10,000 Gold. Of course, since I just had a few boats, and they had their entire army, this was easy for them, and they got their 10,000 Gold - which they wouldn't have had had I not captured their city to begin with.

I'm sorry, but this is just poor game design :facepalm: . What this essentially means is, in a game about conquest and expansion, you're better off NOT conquering than conquering. Or, worse, this strategy would be open to abuse: I could deliberately let my own cities get captured, then trigger one of these 'emergencies', then recapture it to get a massive pot of gold. That's just ludicrous and gamey, and I could never enjoy playing like that.

The correct approach to designing the 'combat' part of the game is: conquering should be the better option if done successfully, but it should be hard to take over other cities and keep hold of them. Now, it does make sense to have some kind of 'overextension' mechanic to stop players from expanding too far too quickly (and mimic what happens to real-world empires that try to do this!), but that's not what this is: this is just a massive freebie handed out to the losing side for no good reason -_- . It's a shame, because I think much of Civ 6 is better-designed than Civ 5; however, the bits that are bad are really bad.

Anyway, rant over.

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Dust Bowl
Today, I discovered a mod that makes Civ 6's graphics look more like Civ 5:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...1702339134

Civ 6's graphics have proven controversial, so anyone who didn't like those might be interested in this. I know I'm going to try it out :) !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I've mentioned a YouTuber called Marcel Vos in the past: he has a topic for his extreme builds in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, and his other videos relating to that game.

However, it seems that he's diversifying his repertoire - because he uploaded his first Civilization V video today. If these become a regular part of his channel, then I may start another topic for his Civ 5 videos; however, for now, I'll just post this one in here. It's about how to get the highest yield from a single tile:

I think I know which civ I'm playing in my next game :lol: !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items