Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fireworks 'should carry shock warnings', doctors claim
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46071940

Senior doctors are calling for graphic images of injuries to be displayed on firework packaging.

Plastic surgeons say the number of life-changing injuries is rising every year despite numerous safety campaigns.

They believe shocking images, like the one they have mocked up using a man's severely damaged hand, might deter buyers.

Half of those seen in hospital last year were aged 18 or under, and 80% were male.

Almost 4,500 people in England attended A&E with injuries from fireworks last year, double the number in 2009-10, according to figures from NHS Digital.

Wow, I didn't realise the number of injuries was rising so rapidly :O

I do hope it doesn't come to putting graphic images on firework packaging, but it sounds like some kind of prominent safety warning might be necessary :( ....
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
Well, there's already disturbing images stuck around packets of cigarettes, also to discourage people from buying them. Also, if injuries are on the rise when using them, banning them from public sale outright should be a thing.
[Image: E12av.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017)
My Items
Or, here's a thought: if using fireworks required some kind of licence (which could be acquired after, say, a week's worth of one-hour classes followed by a test), I wonder what good that would do? 

I'm guessing you wouldn't get nearly as many of these accidental injuries - although, the majority would just not bother with them any more.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
(11-05-2018, 05:31 PM)Kyng Wrote: if using fireworks required some kind of licence (which could be acquired after, say, a week's worth of one-hour classes followed by a test), I wonder what good that would do? 
That's doable at least.
[Image: E12av.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017)
My Items
firework injuries are on the rise because we hear about more dumb people due to how inter connected everyone is now due to social media. TBH we probably always had a lot of accidents because dumb people will also do stupid stuff. especially when drunk.
[Image: 4ec9ce99-7e23-4885-9086-b80b8dc6247f.png]
[Image: 50cd8dba-af3c-43b3-be34-aa0a9c7ce5ad.png]
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items