Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women-only motorsport series launched
Checkered-flag https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45802348 Checkered-flag

A new women-only motorsport series has been launched in an attempt to find potential female Formula 1 stars.

W Series will start in 2019 and is backed by a number of major F1 names, including 13-time grand prix winner David Coulthard and Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey.

Coulthard said he believed men and women could compete on equal terms in motorsport.

He said the existing structure had "not worked" in finding a top woman driver.

The last woman to start an F1 grand prix was Italy's Lella Lombardi in 1976.

I would love to see another female driver racing in Formula One, for the first time in over 40 years - but, to be honest, I don't think this is the way to find them. There are very few female racing drivers in the world who are even at Formula 3 level, let alone Formula One - and even those who are won't be interested in this. They'll continue racing in the series they're in now where they compete on equal terms with men: it's more fulfilling, gives them more exposure and prize money, and it's overall just a better career move. 

Good luck to those running the series, but I'll be surprised if it lasts longer than a couple of seasons :( .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
I don't like series that try to limit who can run like this.
Drivers should be given equal opportunity to perform and be recognized on their performance rather than because of X or Y. (Also assuming there's no equipment gaps to influence finishing results.)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
Yeah, same here. In sports where women are at an inherent physical disadvantage (e.g. football), it makes sense, but in motor racing there's really no need for it. 

I think the lack of women in top-level motorsport is really down to past sexism, combined with a current lack of role models resulting from the sport having been sexist in the past. But it'll only take one really good female racer to change that IMO.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items