Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of 'millennials'?
So, we all hear about 'millennials' a lot: the current generation of young adults, who are supposedly killing industries while they're too lazy to do anything else other than screwing around on phones all day :P . We have a rough idea that they were born in "early 1980s to late 1990s"; however, nobody can seem to agree specific years :-/ . The United States Census Bureau uses the dates 1982-2000; the United States Chamber of Commerce uses the dates 1980-1999; and Nielsen Media Research uses 1977-1995. So, who's right? 

Myself, I would use 9/11 to define the end point. That was a key event in Western history - and, I think it makes sense to have a dividing line between those old enough to have witnessed it (and appreciated its significance), and those too young. The line is blurred, but I expect somebody who was 4 or 5 years old in 2001 would have been able to understand, on some level, what was going on on that dreadful day. So, if we used that to define the generation's end point, then the last millennials would probably have been born in 1996 or 1997. 

Of course, that still leaves the start point. Before 9/11, the previous key event in Western history was probably the fall of the Berlin Wall. Again, I think it makes sense to put a dividing line there, between those old enough to witness the fall of the Berlin Wall (and what it represented), and those who were too young at the time. I guess it's easier for a young child to understand the significance of 9/11 than to understand the significance of the Berlin Wall coming down; I doubt I would have understood something like that until I was at least 8 years old. So, I guess that means the oldest millennials would have been born in 1981? 

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this. I'd be especially interested to hear from people born in the early 1980s: do you identify more as older millennials or younger Gen X'ers? Likewise, to people born in the late 1990s and early 2000s: do you identify more as younger millennials or older Gen Z'ers?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I had always heard the term in regards to the 90s and maybe late 80s with some also including the early 2000s.

I think the 90s would be a good marker.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
To me, a millenial is just a pejorative term, especially when they're used as an example of humanity failing. Or maybe just a synonym for a hipster in denial.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
Aware of surroundings and a kid in 2000.
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
I'm an '83 and I can't really identify with the culture of either a typical millennial or a typical Gen-Xer - of course, being a Christian metalhead Aspie isn't typical in any generation :lol: . I do kinda like your definition, CJ (so mid-80s to 1996 or 1997), but the official one from the US Census Bureau is the one I hear the most often.
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
Yeah, any generation is going to have misfits. I mean, @ MegaphoneStallone was born in 1989, making him a 'millennial' by any reasonable definition, but he exhibits none of the typical 'millennial' stereotypes :lol: !

I have to admit, I also like the use of the term 'Xennials' to refer to those caught in the gap between Gen X and the Millennials. The years I've seen for that group tend to be a few years either side of 1980 (so, for example, 1977-1983).

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
(10-05-2018, 12:22 AM)Kyng Wrote: Yeah, any generation is going to have misfits. I mean, @ MegaphoneStallone was born in 1989, making him a 'millennial' by any reasonable definition, but he exhibits none of the typical 'millennial' stereotypes :lol: !

To be fair I have a beard (admittedly not for millennial reasons), blow most of my disposable income on coffees, complain about housing prices and how the market is impossible to get into and got back on Instagram pretty recently. :P

I'd say I'm pretty safely a Xennial overall though. :P
I remember liking that term when I first heard it.

I also don't agree millennials are overall even close to the laziest/entitled generation as mentioned in the original post - even as a stereotype. I mean, I've worked with Baby Boomers - the amount of times I've tried (with the authority to do so) to instruct a Boomer and heard literally 'that's not my job', a flat 'no.' or even 'that's below me' and had to pick up the pieces myself on top of work I'm already doing on...
My Awards
x1
My Items
Quote:I also don't agree millennials are overall even close to the laziest/entitled generation as mentioned in the original post - even as a stereotype. I mean, I've worked with Baby Boomers - the amount of times I've tried (with the authority to do so) to instruct a Boomer and heard literally 'that's not my job', a flat 'no.' or even 'that's below me' and had to pick up the pieces myself on top of work I'm already doing on...
Yeah, not to mention, the things that are said about millennials now were said about Gen X'ers in the 1990s. And, no doubt, they'll be said about Gen Z'ers in about a decade's time.

It's just one of those never-ending patterns: the 'incoming' generation is always accused of being lazy, while the 'outgoing' generation is always accused of messing everything up :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I don’t even use that word.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
Thinking of this again... I always thought a millenial was someone that was born after 1995. Well, think of this logically... that's a few years before the new millenium, hence the term. Might be wrong, but that's what my brain's telling me.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items