Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VW to stop making Beetle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45516677

Volkswagen is ending production of its iconic Beetle, closing the door on one of the world's most famous car brands.

The German company said output would end at its plant in Mexico next July after production of celebration models.

The Beetle has its roots in Nazi Germany with the creation of a "people's car", but went on to star in a series of successful Disney films as a vehicle called Herbie.

Sales, particularly in the key US market, have fallen in recent years.

Consumers have increasingly turned to larger cars such as crossovers and sports utility vehicles. But Volkswagen, in the wake of the diesel emissions scandal and huge investment in electric vehicles, has also been looking to slim down its model range.

I should clarify here that the original Beetle, introduced in 1938, hasn't been in production since 2003 - so, it's not as though that's being retired now after 80 years. The current Beetle is a completely different car which just looks a bit like the original and shares a name with it. 

Still, it'll be interesting to see how fondly the current one is remembered. It can't possibly live up to the iconic status of the original, but I'm sure it'll build up a following of its own!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
fun fact the original volkswagon bug was built as a military light all terrain vehicle with a completely weld sealed chassis so it could float on water and sorta "swim" by spinning the tires or having oars to row with. kind of a shame production is ending but people will still be able to keep up with parts for the vehicles as they have normally excellent fuel economy and work well in cities being a small vehicle.  Not to mention you can fit 22 people in one if you try.
[Image: 4ec9ce99-7e23-4885-9086-b80b8dc6247f.png]
[Image: 50cd8dba-af3c-43b3-be34-aa0a9c7ce5ad.png]
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
Wow, that's impressive :O

Not that I'd want to be squeezed into a Beetle with 21 other people. TBH I don't think I'd even want to go in one of those VW hippy vans if it had 21 other people in it :lol: !
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items