Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Contributions and repeat nominations
Yesterday, the July 2019 Forum Contributions nominations opened. So far, two members have nominated people for awards that they already have, despite the rule that each member can only receive each award once. As such, I've rejected those nominations, and advised the people concerned that they still have all their nominations open.

However, it did make me wonder: is this rule even a good idea, or is it just causing confusion in its current form? It wasn't so bad when the quarterly polls started in January 2018, because Special Contributions weren't a part of it then, and there were only three previous Forum Contributions trophies. However, now that Special Contributions have been added, and six of these polls have been conducted previously, there are about 20 of these trophies that have already been given out, as a look at the Award Gallery will tell you. As more of these trophies are awarded, it's going to get harder and harder to avoid nominating someone for an award that they already have, and the number of people doing it accidentally is only going to increase.

So, I did wonder: should we relax this rule a bit? I still think it's a good idea to have some restriction, so that it doesn't just turn into the same members winning the same awards over and over again, but the current outright ban is only going to get more and more onerous over time. So, here are a couple of ideas:

• Limit it to awards given out within the past year. Under this system anyone who received awards from July 2018 onwards would be ineligible to receive them in July 2019, but people who received awards prior to that (e.g. the April 2018 winners or those who won the pre-poll ones) would be re-eligible.

• Limit it to three per award per member. This way, anyone who's received an award would be eligible for two more of that award.

So, what do people think about this?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Wobo
Personally, I like the restriction, as it means more people overall will get nominated. I'll admit I'd get frustrated seeing the same people nominate the same people for the same awards time and time again.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 2 users Like Pyrite's post:
  • Remington, Wobo
Well, I agree that there should be some restriction; however, I think 'forever' is probably going too far. For example, Jarkko has contributed continuously on his favourite sports: I don't think his recent contributions should go unrecognised just because he was awarded a Golden Shoe four or five years ago.

A further consideration is, I'd like the system to be future-proof. Right now, around 20 of these awards have been given out; one day, it might be 50. At that point, can we really expect people to trawl through all the past awards to see what's already been given out?

There are other ways in which we could do this, though. For example, we could require four nominations if the person already has the award. Or, since we give out two awards per cycle, we could stipulate that only one can go to someone who already has the award.

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
(07-26-2019, 11:47 AM)Kyng Wrote: Well, I agree that there should be some restriction; however, I think 'forever' is probably going too far. For example, Jarkko has contributed continuously on his favourite sports: I don't think his recent contributions should go unrecognised just because he was awarded a Golden Shoe four or five years ago.

In that case, why not introduce a higher award than the Golden Shoe, which could only be awarded to someone who has already earned it? Something like a Platinum Shoe. And then be more strict on the nominations for these (e.g. one nomination must come from a staff member, or perhaps make it something that staff only can suggest). At the very least, there's a distinction to be made then.

Quote:A further consideration is, I'd like the system to be future-proof. Right now, around 20 of these awards have been given out; one day, it might be 50. At that point, can we really expect people to trawl through all the past awards to see what's already been given out?

You'll run into this problem with any limit, assuming the forum goes on long enough. I'd say the issues recently point to a lack of organisation of the awards. If we display awards on the board in a section where the heading is each award, it's not that hard to scroll down to the award you want to give to see who has already received it. Right now, awards are listed in order of being given, which does make it harder to identify who has what.

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Pyrite's post:
  • Remington, Rosie Willowwater
(07-26-2019, 07:19 AM)Pyrite Wrote: Personally, I like the restriction, as it means more people overall will get nominated. I'll admit I'd get frustrated seeing the same people nominate the same people for the same awards time and time again.

I feel this way as well.

It is awesome seeing more and more people get a chance to shine - especially in awards with which the great contributions come from many different sources (like the Globe).
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Pyrite
I feel rather uncomfortable when forums have awards like these; they can make me feel really inadequate. A feeling I kind of want to be free of for at least a few hours of a day. :/ I know you're not supposed to take these things too seriously, but the reasons for my feelings... well I'm not going into my life story here. I don't contribute enough as it is to ever get nominated at a later date and I also don't want to feel like my posts are being judged as to whether I might ever deserve an award in some such topic. So: is there an option where a member can just say they don't want to be included in any of these kinds of awards thingies? :) Want to see what you say first. Thanks!
* O P F U I T *
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia Scilla Forsythia Sundrop
[-] The following 2 users Like Opal Fruit's post:
  • Crooked Crow , Detective Osprey
(07-26-2019, 12:08 PM)Pyrite Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 11:47 AM)Kyng Wrote: Well, I agree that there should be some restriction; however, I think 'forever' is probably going too far. For example, Jarkko has contributed continuously on his favourite sports: I don't think his recent contributions should go unrecognised just because he was awarded a Golden Shoe four or five years ago.

In that case, why not introduce a higher award than the Golden Shoe, which could only be awarded to someone who has already earned it? Something like a Platinum Shoe. And then be more strict on the nominations for these (e.g. one nomination must come from a staff member, or perhaps make it something that staff only can suggest). At the very least, there's a distinction to be made then.

To be honest, I think introducing a whole new series of awards is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish here. It's also adding another layer of complexity to an awards system which is quite complex anyway (we already have over 30 awards: this would take us to over 40). Not to mention, it'd require the creation of a set of accompanying graphics.

(And it then raises the question: what happens after Platinum :P ? If people can't get multiple platinums, then it really just moves the problem rather than solving it)

Quote:
Quote:A further consideration is, I'd like the system to be future-proof. Right now, around 20 of these awards have been given out; one day, it might be 50. At that point, can we really expect people to trawl through all the past awards to see what's already been given out?

You'll run into this problem with any limit, assuming the forum goes on long enough. I'd say the issues recently point to a lack of organisation of the awards. If we display awards on the board in a section where the heading is each award, it's not that hard to scroll down to the award you want to give to see who has already received it. Right now, awards are listed in order of being given, which does make it harder to identify who has what.

Good point :) . I've always thought it'd be nice to have sortable tables of awards, but lacked any particular impetus to do them!

Up until now, it's remained in the "Wouldn't it be nice?" category, largely because it'd be quite a lot of work to get everything coded and converted (we need to consider things like getting the tables to look good on mobile, for example). But I'd be willing to do it if it would help fix this issue.

(07-26-2019, 12:17 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 07:19 AM)Pyrite Wrote: Personally, I like the restriction, as it means more people overall will get nominated. I'll admit I'd get frustrated seeing the same people nominate the same people for the same awards time and time again.

I feel this way as well.

It is awesome seeing more and more people get a chance to shine - especially in awards with which the great contributions come from many different sources (like the Globe).
Yeah, I don't want it to turn into the same people winning the same awards over and over :P . I just want to make things easier for the people nominating (because I think a "forever" limit will just get increasingly impractical over time - whereas something like a one-year limit, or one of the various 'soft limits' I proposed, would be more manageable)

(07-26-2019, 04:07 PM)Opal Fruit Wrote: I feel rather uncomfortable when forums have awards like these; they can make me feel really inadequate. A feeling I kind of want to be free of for at least a few hours of a day. :/ I know you're not supposed to take these things too seriously, but the reasons for my feelings... well I'm not going into my life story here. I don't contribute enough as it is to ever get nominated at a later date and I also don't want to feel like my posts are being judged as to whether I might ever deserve an award in some such topic. So: is there an option where a member can just say they don't want to be included in any of these kinds of awards thingies? :) Want to see what you say first. Thanks!

Of course :) . I've added you to the 'Declined to Run' list, and I'll do that for any future awards unless you let me know that you've changed your mind.

But, yeah - I understand how you feel, and the last thing I want to do is force something like this on somebody who doesn't wish to participate.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
(07-26-2019, 04:39 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 12:08 PM)Pyrite Wrote:

To be honest, I think introducing a whole new series of awards is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish here. It's also adding another layer of complexity to an awards system which is quite complex anyway (we already have over 30 awards: this would take us to over 40). Not to mention, it'd require the creation of a set of accompanying graphics.

(And it then raises the question: what happens after Platinum :P ? If people can't get multiple platinums, then it really just moves the problem rather than solving it)

Point taken. I still think there should be a good amount of time between them, though. We have too many good contributors to be constantly handing out the same awards to the same people.

Quote:
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Kyng
(07-26-2019, 07:43 PM)Pyrite Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 04:39 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 12:08 PM)Pyrite Wrote: In that case, why not introduce a higher award than the Golden Shoe, which could only be awarded to someone who has already earned it? Something like a Platinum Shoe. And then be more strict on the nominations for these (e.g. one nomination must come from a staff member, or perhaps make it something that staff only can suggest). At the very least, there's a distinction to be made then.

Point taken. I still think there should be a good amount of time between them, though. We have too many good contributors to be constantly handing out the same awards to the same people.
Yeah, that's true. If we are going to introduce a limit, it should definitely be no less than a year, and even that's probably a bit on the short side (but if it gets to two years, that's still a list of 16 past awards that people would need to read through :P )

Oh well. I have started work on an overhaul of the Award Gallery with ordered/sortable tables, so hopefully this will be less of an issue by the time October rolls around!

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Pyrite
I would say do the year restriction.

The issue I think is that we don't have enough (active) members to do the whole "1 award" limit thing, while keeping the awards to require quality. At some point with the current restrictions and keeping membership and activity on a similar trend there would be scarping the bottom of the pool instead of the cream de la cream.

Honestly maybe even just the yearly awards giving current trends would be ideal, vs the quarterly now.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1 x1
My Items
Ducking