Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dreamcast: 20 years on
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news...ast-is-20/

Sega Dreamcast is officially 20 years old today in the West, having first launched in North America on 9/9/1999, almost a year after Japan.

Dreamcast was Sega’s final home console, marking the end of the Japanese company’s near-20-year stint in the console hardware market.

However, despite its short lifespan the console produced many critically acclaimed game franchises including Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Phantasy Star Online, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio and Rez.

Dreamcast set the trend for modern consoles in a few areas, including its off-the-shelf components designed to reduce costs and built-in modem for online play.

The console enjoyed a strong launch in North America backed by a significant marketing campaign, but ultimately sales declined as Sony’s PlayStation 2 arrived on the market.

I've never been much of a console gamer, but the Dreamcast was pretty much the only one that I played on extensively, since I got a second-hand one from a relative in 2002. My selection of games was limited, but I still have fond memories of it: playing the original Virtua Tennis on it was probably what got me into that sport!

How about you?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Megan
I LOVED the Dreamcast.

I loved playing House of the Dead 2. I played that a lot, and Grandia II. Also, that version of the game is the best one. >P And yes, there is a difference between the Playstation 2 one. Very slight difference in scenes. I could tell since I tried that one right after playing it. XD Man, I remember when I got that...I was up all night playing.
[Image: H4kDJkp.jpg]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1 (2017) x1 (2016)
My Items
F-Chan
Never played the Dreamcast since i was born three years after it got discontinued but it looked like it was a bright future for SEGA. I wish it did success it looked like it had a lot of potential. Something i’d definitely play if i was alive in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s.
My Awards
My Items
Arcanine
I can safely say, more than a decade and several different systems later, that the Dreamcast is the best console I have ever played. You could tell that SEGA were really trying to make it the best console out there (look at those fancy VMUs and try telling me that your Memory Card and Internal HDDs don't pale in comparisson!) but perhaps that contribuited to its downfall... mine came packed with dozens of pirate games that I could just get on and play.

Seriously unimpressive, but welcome to some extent.

Still, I have nothing but fond memories from that machine.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
I never got mine until around 2010 or so, but I love mine.
Truly underrated imo.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
(09-11-2019, 03:41 AM)Gaomon274 Wrote: I never got mine until around 2010 or so, but I love mine.
Truly underrated imo.

Wow, good to hear you enjoyed it even though it was pretty old by the time you got it!

Now I'm wondering whether I should get mine out - but, I'm a bit worried that the games might be better in my memory than they were in reality :lol: .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
I really wish it had more of a lifespan then it had.

I got mine after it was dead, but mostly cause I wanted my own to play House of the Dead 2. XD My brother had one when it was still alive. He loved the system too.
[Image: H4kDJkp.jpg]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1 (2017) x1 (2016)
My Items
F-Chan
(09-16-2019, 06:56 PM)Megan Wrote: I really wish it had more of a lifespan then it had.

I got mine after it was dead, but mostly cause I wanted my own to play House of the Dead 2. XD My brother had one when it was still alive. He loved the system too.

Yeah, so do I. By the time I got mine in 2002, it had already been discontinued - but it was only three years old, and it still felt like a modern console.

If it had a longer lifespan, then who knows what would have happened? Maybe I would have stuck with it, and got properly into console gaming :lol: .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items