The Coffee House
Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements and Feedback (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements and Board Information (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news (/showthread.php?tid=5547)

Pages: 1 2 3

Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Kyng - 01-06-2020

Greetings, Coffee House! I have a bunch of announcements today, regarding our Member of the Year poll at the end of 2019, and our theme plans as we enter 2020 :) .

1. Member of the Year Results

Our Member of the Year 2019 poll has been completed - and, with a total of 12 members making the cut, it was a cracker :D . The final results were:

Goldmedal2 1) Dust Bowl (11 votes)
Silvermedal3 2) Shiny Star (10 votes)
Bronzemedal2 3) Lurkerish Allsorts (9 votes)
4) Greninlucarizardlup (6 votes)
=5) Jarkko (5 votes)
=5) Pyrite (5 votes)
=7) 321tumbler (4 votes)
=7) Detective Osprey (4 votes)
=7) GrieferLord (4 votes)
=7) queenzelda (4 votes)
11) Megan (3 votes)
12) Yami Yugi (2 votes)

Congratulations to @"Dust Bowl" on his victory! He just won Newcomer of the Year in a landslide - and now, he's gone on to win Member of the Year in what was a much closer-run thing. He's done so much to deserve it as well, from the large number of members he's brought onto the board to all the threads about shows and games I would never have known about otherwise - and so, I am proud to declare him Goldmedal2 Member of the Year 2019 :D .

Of course, this isn't to demean the contributions of the others who made it onto the poll. All twelve of you have made valuable contributions over the course of 2019 - and, as such, I have awarded Coffee Credit prizes to everybody in the above list :) .

However, that's not the only news I have today:

2. The Christmas theme has come down

Sadly, all good things must come to an end - and Christmas is no exception :( . Today is 6th January, the day on which the Christmas decorations traditionally come down - and so, it's time for me to remove the Christmas theme.

If you still want to use this theme, then you can head to the Extra Themes shop, where you can purchase permanent access to our Christmas theme (as well as the other seasonal themes: TCH Easter and TCH Hallowe'en)

3. Fire and Charcoal has (temporarily) been made the board default theme

Yes, I know... this is a bit unusual, and it requires some explaining :lol: . It's come to my attention that more and more people (both current members and guests who may potentially become members) are accessing the board either primarily or exclusively via mobile devices. According to Statista, 51.51% of internet traffic comes from mobiles, and that's not even counting tablets :O ! It's becoming increasingly important to cater to these users - and I'm afraid our brown and beige default theme simply doesn't do this: it's unusable on my own mobile :( . Therefore, I've decided that we need a responsive theme as the board default - and, since Fire and Charcoal has been probably the best-received of our default themes, that's the one I'm going with.

If you're a PC user who prefers a more 'traditional' forum look, or you just prefer the brown and beige colour scheme over black and orange, then the usual default theme is still available on the theme chooser. Because it's no longer the board's default theme, it's been re-named to "TCH Classic", and there are two versions to choose from: the standard one, and the larger-text one :) .

4. A new responsive default theme will be coming soon

While I firmly believe that it's important to have a responsive default theme, I do realise that the situation I described above is far from ideal. The brown and beige look is an important part of this community's brand identity, and it has been ever since 2010; however, that is something that we've now lost :( .

Fortunately, this won't be the case for very long - as I have taken the decision to start work on an all new brown-and-beige default theme :D . This will be based on the 'classic' default theme, except that it will be based on the responsive templates, designed to work on mobile devices :) . I don't yet know when it will be released (since I'd rather get this right than do a rush-job to a deadline), but I am hoping that it will be ready by the end of January.

Once again, congratulations to all of our Member of the Year winners from 2019 - and let's hope that 2020 leads us on to greater things :D !

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Moonshroom - 01-06-2020

Thank you. 

It's been an honor competing for and taking both awards. Really means a lot.

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Lurkerish Allsorts - 01-06-2020

Thank you everyone.

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Eremurus - 01-06-2020

Congratulations on your awards DB.

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Chipster of Redstone - 01-06-2020

Congrats DB!

Also, that Fire and Charcoal theme looks better than the previous default; I'll be switching to it even if I don't have a mobile device.

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Kyng - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 08:48 PM)Chipster of Redstone Wrote: Congrats DB!

Also, that Fire and Charcoal theme looks better than the previous default; I'll be switching to it even if I don't have a mobile device.

I'm glad you like it :) !

But, yeah. That's what happens when you make your default theme first, and then all your subsequent work improves on it, and makes your default theme look rather mediocre by comparison :lol: .

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Chellectible - 01-06-2020

Congrats @"Dust Bowl"  :wub:

Love the theme! I, too, use my mobile a lot to view the forum, particularly when I'm out or at work. So this suits me just fine! :D

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Moonshroom - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 08:58 PM)Chellectible Wrote: Congrats @"Dust Bowl"  :wub:

Love the theme! I, too, use my mobile a lot to view the forum, particularly when I'm out or at work. So this suits me just fine! :D

Thanks, honey :)

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Detective Osprey - 01-06-2020

Congrats, @"Dust Bowl"!

RE: Member of the Year 2019 Results + Theme news - Oscar - 01-06-2020

Congratulations everyone. Congratulations on your medals and I hope you enjoy them. To those of you that didn't win don't feel bad. You are all valued and admired here. :)