The Coffee House
Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Abstract Ideas and General Knowledge (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? (/showthread.php?tid=5253)

Pages: 1 2

Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Kyng - 12-01-2019

Sometimes, schools, colleges and/or universities will offer philosophy classes (I believe it's quite rare for schools to do this, but it's more common among colleges and universities). Sometimes, it'll just be stand-alone philosophy; other times, it'll be combined with something else (for example, some universities offer a "Maths and Philosophy" course, while others offer one called "PPE", standing for "Philosophy, Politics and Economics"). So, have you ever taken any philosophy classes of any kind, in or out of school?

Myself, I never did: my school simply never offered it :P . When I was at university, I did dip my toes into it a little bit: during my final two years, I took some modules about the foundations of mathematics (covering things like formal logic and Gödel's incompleteness theorems). These modules would have straddled the borderline between mathematics and philosophy, but that's about as far into the subject as I got (and it's still a long way from a full-blown philosophy course :lol: ).

What about you?

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Moonshroom - 12-01-2019

I have, actually.  It was actually mandatory in my high school.

I honestly felt like my time was being wasted at huge steps there and didn't actually learned anything from the three years it lasted.

Meh.

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Lurkerish Allsorts - 12-01-2019

Multiple, Intro to philosophy, a few I forget, Political philosophy, philosophy of law,

I enjoyed the lectures, the paper writing not so much.

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Kyng - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 09:28 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: I have, actually.  It was actually mandatory in my high school.

I honestly felt like my time was being wasted at huge steps there and didn't actually learned anything from the three years it lasted.

Meh.

I'm not surprised you found it to be a waste of time. I don't suppose there's much philosophy involved in bombing :lol: .

(12-01-2019, 09:31 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: Multiple, Intro to philosophy, a few I forget, Political philosophy, philosophy of law,

Yeah, I suspect I would have ended up the same way. I would've enjoyed learning about the material, but it's really not something I'd want to be forced to write about -_- .

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Lurkerish Allsorts - 12-01-2019

(12-01-2019, 09:42 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(12-01-2019, 09:28 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: I have, actually.  It was actually mandatory in my high school.

Meh.

I'm not surprised you found it to be a waste of time. I don't suppose there's much philosophy involved in bombing :lol: .
There is the design philosophy of the bombs (and aircraft, such as quality/tonnage vs quantity)
The ethics of it, and I bet so much more :P
Quote:
(12-01-2019, 09:31 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: Multiple, Intro to philosophy, a few I forget, Political philosophy, philosophy of law,

Yeah, I suspect I would have ended up the same way. I would've enjoyed learning about the material, but it's really not something I'd want to be forced to write about -_- .
At lease in my experience I hate writing papers as-is but philosophy profs (at the two colleges I went to) both loved to mark you down for everything and at times I questioned if they even read the paper as a few times I'd get a comment like "What about x?" when X was the paragraph below -_-.

I think the only reasons why I passed those classes was that they were smaller classes and you could basically freely interact with the professors with questions and arguments, and I showed i understood and knew the material via those means, if it was just based on papers I wouldn't have done that well.

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Shiny Star - 12-01-2019

We dipped into philosophy in secondary school but it was tied in with religion. I almost did it at A Level but I’m glad that I didn’t. So yeah, I would say I haven’t studied it officially but I have dipped into some of it with other subjects.

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Nick - 12-01-2019

I went to college for math/stats, but took almost enough philosophy classes for a BA in Philosophy (was about 6-ish classes short). The classes I took were Intro to Philosophy, Symbolic Logic, Modern Philosophy, Theory of Knowledge, Political Philosophy, and Philosophy of Mathematics.

I should mention that my favorite was Theory of Knowledge. After graduating, I went on to buy a few other textbooks written by the professor I took for that class. I had considered making an epistemology thread here on TCH, but eventually thought it might be a bit too "out of there".

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Eremurus - 12-02-2019

I have not formally studied philosophy. I have however researched different ideologies under differing authors on my free time. Obviously my understanding of it wouldn't be as nuanced as somebody like Nick. But it is what it is.

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Kyng - 12-02-2019

(12-01-2019, 11:55 PM)Nick Wrote: I should mention that my favorite was Theory of Knowledge. After graduating, I went on to buy a few other textbooks written by the professor I took for that class. I had considered making an epistemology thread here on TCH, but eventually thought it might be a bit too "out of there".
Sure, I'd love to see that. It's one of those threads that I would've made myself if I knew more about the subject :lol: .

(Besides, some of my most successful threads over the years have been ones I considered not starting because I thought nobody would be interested :P ...)

RE: Have you ever taken any philosophy classes? - Moonshroom - 12-02-2019

(12-01-2019, 09:42 PM)Kyng Wrote: I'm not surprised you found it to be a waste of time. I don't suppose there's much philosophy involved in bombing :lol:

Tell that to Al-Qaeda XD