The Coffee House
A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Recreation and Media (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: The Gaming Table (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Nintendo (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+---- Thread: A Nintendo 64 retrospective (/showthread.php?tid=4600)

Pages: 1 2

A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Moonshroom - 09-17-2019

When I was a kid, the N64 was a HUGE deal, so much so that the Saturn and PlayStation WISHED they had the kind of press and pull the Nintendo machine had, yet it commanded such beastly prices that no-one I have ever known owned it, making it the coolest thing no-one ever saw.

This put the console in downright weird territory for me, because the gaming press just wouldn't shut up about how great this thing was, but there simply was no confirming it.

Fast-forward a couple of years, add in the advent of ROM sites and the internet in general, and factor in me finally getting to try the titles that were praised so much back in the day... just to have me being incredibly underwhelmed by the whole affair.

This isn't exclusively due to the games being bad or uninteresting to me, but also because Nintendo 64 emulation has become notorious for being terrible (which is kind of hilarious, looking back), so a good chunk of games I'd have otherwise been interested in have become unavailable to me. Please keep that in mind as you scroll through here, but I must say... when the Atari Jaguar enjoys a better afterlife than your cutting-edge console of the future, you have really messed up.

But even if that wasn't a thing, I did have a tough time getting used to the console's control scheme... it felt alien to me in a way that no other system could accomplish. I could never find a proper grip nor design a scheme --physical or emulated-- that would feel natural and comfortable to me. This has become a common complain amongst gamers who didn't grow up with the system and all I can say to that is that these are legit complains to have, not just jabs at an already punished console.

Below I'll add a list of N64 games I have tried over the years, as well as my experience with them, and if I would have liked them as a kid. I will also add a little summary detailing any technical difficulties I might have encountered during my playing sessions. These are in no way intended --nor should be read-- as game reviews, but sort of serve as a backlog of games I was at one point interested in and tried my best to give a fair chance to.

Most of these games have been tried using the controversial Project 64 emulator for Windows (although some were also tried on N64Droid for testing purposes).

Spoiler

And that's my list.

What do you think, though? Did you have a Nintendo 64 growing up? Wished you had one? Do you own one now? Share with us!

RE: A Nintendo 64 retrospective - JR - 09-17-2019

N64 is my second favorite. I think it did well compared to the PlayStation. It might’ve not beaten the unit sales compared to playstation but I think the N64 was successful. Lots of games I would wanna play on the console especially Super Mario 64!

RE: A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Lurkerish Allsorts - 09-17-2019

What no Superman 64? :P

If you ever get a PC, Rouge Squadron was also a PC title (sadly only the first one). So you may want to check it out then

There is also a Doom64 port or something for PC.

RE: A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Eremurus - 09-17-2019

GOAT console.

RE: A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Jarkko - 09-17-2019

I had an N64 (I think it's still packed away somewhere here at my folks' place) and there were numerous games I tried on the system itself. I can say with some certainty that Star Wars: Rogue Squadron was really good. There were a number that weren't on your list that I played. (E) were only on emulator. BTW, which version of PJ64 did you use? (and btw, Daikatana is apparently considered one of the worst games ever made :P )

RE: A Nintendo 64 retrospective - Moonshroom - 09-17-2019

I used version 1.6 of PJ64... the last "clean" one.

2.4 actually works pretty well. arcadeOX on RetroUprising uses 2.0, which is a little janky.

In any case, yeah, the above games are the ones I've played that aren't on your list. I've played maybe two-thirds of the ones that are. Only one I personally owned was Ocarina of Time. My brother had Star Wars Ep I Racer and Goldeneye 007, and I think the original Pokemon Stadium, which I never played because I can't stand Pokemon :P, dad owned Perfect Dark, and DK64

Be careful, dude. Tons of people have said that the new team behind PJ64 started adding malware to it starting 1.7 or so.

(09-17-2019, 10:29 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Be careful, dude. Tons of people have said that the new team behind PJ64 started adding malware to it starting 1.7 or so.

Says that here: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Project64#Malware_and_nagware

But also that they got rid of it for 2.3. It was in the installer, apparently.

Not sure I trust them any longer, though.