The Coffee House
Mistakes you made as a new player - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Recreation and Media (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: The Gaming Table (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Mistakes you made as a new player (/showthread.php?tid=4515)

Pages: 1 2

Mistakes you made as a new player - Kyng - 09-07-2019

Cross-posted from the old board:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the_coffee_house/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=10948

I'm sure we've all done this: we've bought a new game; decided we couldn't be bothered sitting through the tutorial; dived straight in....and played the game hilariously badly, in a manner which we would come to cringe at when we eventually became more seasoned veterans :lol: . Here's a place to share examples of the mistakes you made as a newbie, so that the rest of us can laugh with you!

I'll start with an example from Fallout: New Vegas. I wanted to explore the starting town as thoroughly as I could before moving on - and so, naturally, I found a lot of stuff lying around on the ground. Rather than just picking up the valuable/useful things, I would pick up everything I could find, in case I found a use for it later. I made a particular point of picking up the empty tin cans: I assumed I would be able to melt them down and craft them into awesome weapons at some point :P .

So, what are your funny mistakes that you made in games, when you were too new to know any better?

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Kyng - 01-26-2020

Here's one from Transport Fever:

While I was overhauling one of my freight lines, I accidentally disconnected the road linking a lumber mill to the station that was serving it. This meant I was no longer able to deliver logs to that mill, so it was no longer able to make wooden planks. This in turn meant that the machine workshop was no longer able to produce machines (which required those planks). And this in turn meant that the demand for steel dried up (since the machine workshop was no longer able to use that steel in its machines), so the steel mill also stopped producing. And this in turn meant the demand for iron and coal dried up... so, the iron and coal mines stopped producing -_- . Yeah, that one mistake caused my entire supply chain to grind to a halt, and it almost bankrupted my company :facepalm: .

Fortunately, I noticed the mistake just in time - and my company is slowly recovering from it...

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Megan - 01-26-2020

Not really ones like that. But I remembered after completing the first quest in Chrono Trigger I thought I had beat the game. XD

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - GiraKeng - 01-27-2020

I remember the first time I played Civ V, i literally did not know what to do and I accidentally declared war on another player.

That was like 6 years ago, now i have a much better understanding of the game than that time ago.

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Kyng - 01-27-2020

(01-27-2020, 03:44 AM)GiraKeng Wrote: I remember the first time I played Civ V, i literally did not know what to do and I accidentally declared war on another player.

That was like 6 years ago, now i have a much better understanding of the game than that time ago.

I have to ask: how did you manage that?! Wasn't there some kind of confirmation message? (Okay, maybe not: I do remember that Civ V's UI used to be total junk :P )

I can't remember what my beginners' mistakes were - although, I wasn't winning many of my games (despite the low difficulty level), so I was certainly making them!!!

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - GiraKeng - 01-27-2020

(01-27-2020, 05:47 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 03:44 AM)GiraKeng Wrote: I remember the first time I played Civ V, i literally did not know what to do and I accidentally declared war on another player.

I have to ask: how did you manage that?! Wasn't there some kind of confirmation message? (Okay, maybe not: I do remember that Civ V's UI used to be total junk :P )

I can't remember what my beginners' mistakes were - although, I wasn't winning many of my games (despite the low difficulty level), so I was certainly making them!!!

Keep in mind that this was my FIRST time playing and I was like 11 who didn't read clearly and properly who doesn't understand anything. I think I also skipped the tutorial as well. Maybe that explains my hilarity of a failure I was at the game xd.

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Kyng - 03-10-2021

:lol:

Since I've been posting a bit about LEGO Rock Raiders lately... the biggest mistake I made was that I didn't teleport in enough miners. I wanted to complete missions with as few as possible, in order to prevent my air supply from running out too quickly... but that just meant missions took an excruciatingly long time to complete. (I could usually do it in the end, but it would've been quicker if I had more than two people mining :lol: !!!)

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Shiny Star - 03-12-2021

I know I’ve done looooooads in the past. Right now, however, my mind is blank. I remember accidentally getting my children taken away in Sims or not saving files enough. Nothing too damaging but we learn the controls of games over time.

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - Kyng - 06-05-2021

(03-12-2021, 01:08 AM)Shiny Star Wrote: I know I’ve done looooooads in the past. Right now, however, my mind is blank. I remember accidentally getting my children taken away in Sims or not saving files enough. Nothing too damaging but we learn the controls of games over time.

Fortunately, I haven't had a child taken away from me... yet :lol: !

I think my biggest beginner's mistake in The Sims 4 was making Conor as an 'Adult' and Cheryl as a 'Young Adult'. I didn't realise just how far into their lives these 'Adult' Sims are... according to this table, they're about two-thirds of the way through their life once they hit the 'Adult' stage :( !

Had I known this when I started playing, I would've created them both as Young Adults...

RE: Mistakes you made as a new player - J-Ster - 06-08-2021

When I played a Pokemon game for the first time ever  (Pokemon X) back in 2016, made the mistake of giving my team a repetative moveset instead of giving a variety of moves.