The Coffee House
Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: History and Civilizations (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? (/showthread.php?tid=4086)

Pages: 1 2 3

Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Kyng - 07-21-2019

Countries, states, islands, continents, and other geopolitical entities all have their own shapes. Some are longer than others; some are wider than others, and some are really quite unique and distinctive. Here's a place to pick out any of your favourite ones :) .

I'll start with three that I really like:

Great Britain (Yes, I'm biased :P ):

[Image: jeFQvSF.jpg]
(Source: Jacques Decloitres)

Texas:

[Image: oqfYS85.png]
(Source: AnonMoos; View licence terms)

Australia:

[Image: xG3mpws.jpg]
(Source: Reto Stöckl)

I think what I like about these shapes is that they're all 'balanced' without quite being symmetrical. Not too regular or orderly, but also not too chaotic or lacking in form.

What about you?

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Jarkko - 07-21-2019

Compare the shape of the Hebrew letter M -
[Image: 0ce5df6ace0d70936491d0fcd31358d9.png]

To Uganda:

[Image: 350px-Uganda_sat.png]

Maybe a bit skewed, but for me, the resemblance was uncanny! ;)

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Detective Osprey - 07-22-2019

Probably Newfoundland, it kinda looks like Suicune.

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - JR - 07-23-2019

Wyoming and Colorado, they’re shapes are both interesting especially with both facing opposite directions.
[Image: qM2iPmU.jpg]

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Kyng - 07-23-2019

(07-23-2019, 01:24 PM)Wobo Wrote: Wyoming and Colorado, they’re shapes are both interesting especially with both facing opposite directions.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, but I've spent so long looking at US maps that I'm able to tell the shapes of Colorado and Wyoming apart :lol: !

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - JR - 07-23-2019

(07-23-2019, 05:08 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 01:24 PM)Wobo Wrote: Wyoming and Colorado, they’re shapes are both interesting especially with both facing opposite directions.

I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, but I've spent so long looking at US maps that I'm able to tell the shapes of Colorado and Wyoming apart :lol: !
:lol: . The only states I can tell are the ones that have recognizable shapes like Texas or Florida lol.

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Jarkko - 07-24-2019

Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, and North Dakota would all look the same to me in isolation. :lol:

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Kyng - 10-14-2019

So, for US states whose shapes I do like... I already mentioned Texas in the opening post, but here are a few more:

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Jarkko - 10-15-2019

There are no Canadian provinces or territories that don't have at least one straight-line land border, save Prince Edward Island which doesn't have any land borders at all. :P All four western provinces have straight southern and northern borders (Saskatchewan has all straight-line borders), Ontario's western border with Manitoba is two straight lines, and the northernmost stretch of their border with Quebec (starting near Notre-Dame-du-Nord, QC) is straight, most of New Brunswick's western border with Maine is a straight line running north-south, Nova Scotia has a couple of sections of straight lines, and Newfoundland and Labrador has the southern Labradorian border with Quebec, which is straight for a good portion.

I'd say of the Canadian provinces, I'm biased towards the shape of British Columbia, but I also like Nova Scotia.

BC
NS

RE: Best-looking country/state/geographical shapes? - Pyrite - 10-15-2019

In terms of aesthetics, I've always really loved the shape of Michigan, especially the Upper Peninsula. It's always stood out to me from the rest of the US states for that reason.