The Coffee House
Wimbledon 2019 - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Recreation and Media (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: Sports and Physical Activities (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=3856)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-13-2019

(07-13-2019, 05:54 PM)Jarkko Wrote: Honestly, no matter which of Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic you think is the greatest of all-time, it's a pretty safe bet that the three are the three best of all-time. Yes, I just went there, saying Djokovic is better than Sampras was. :P

Yeah, I'd say they're pretty clearly #1, #2 and #3 at this point (I'll wait until they're all retired before deciding on the specific order :P )

I'd place Djokovic above Sampras, for three main reasons:

1. Even if Djokovic never wins another Slam again (which would really surprise me), he still has 15 to Sampras's 14.
  2. Djokovic is more versatile. He's won all four of the Slams, whereas Sampras never won the French Open (and never even reached the final).
  3. Djokovic has had much tougher opposition. Sampras played against some very fine players who won multiple Slams, but those players aren't in the "GOAT" conversation. Djokovic, on the other hand, has won his against Federer and Nadal.

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Jarkko - 07-13-2019

WOW. I just looked at the men's doubles final that's going on right now, and it is super-close! The first four sets all went to tiebreaks, with Robert Farah and JS Cabal winning sets 2 and 3 and Nicolas Mahut and Édouard Roger-Vasselin winning sets 1 and 4. They're on serve in the final set. It's been going for four and a half hours! :blink:

Well, it looks like Farah and Cabal had more gas in the tank. They won the fifth set 6-3 to win men's doubles. The whole match went just under five hours.

Tomorrow:

Mixed Doubles: [8] Ivan Dodig/Latisha Chan vs. Robert Lindstedt/Jelena Ostapenko

Women's Doubles: [3] Barbora Strýcová/Hsieh Su-Wei vs. [4] Xu Yifan/ Canada Gabriela Dabrowski

Men's Singles: [1] Novak Djokovic vs. [2] Roger Federer

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-14-2019

The Men's Singles final has just finished - and, I'd say it was not just a thriller, but a classic. I'll just let the scoreline speak for itself:

Serbia Novak Djokovic [1] def. Switzerland Roger Federer [2] 7-67-5 1-6 7-67-4 4-6 13-127-3

Congrats to Djokovic. Both players gave their all and produced some fabulous tennis: it was one of those matches where it was a pity there could only be one winner. However, after what Federer put him through, Djokovic has more than earned his fifth Wimbledon crown, and his 16th Grand Slam title!

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Jarkko - 07-14-2019

One for the ages, indeed! ;) Strýcová/Hsieh winning 6-2 6-4 over Dabrowski/Xu seems like an afterthought in light of how epic that men's final really was!

Also, Dodig/Chan won mixed doubles.

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-14-2019

Nice, congrats to them :) !

My only slight complaint about the Men's Singles final is that, as superb and as praiseworthy as Djokovic's performance was, there was something anti-heroic about the final outcome. Had it been a 37-year-old Federer coming through lift the trophy, a full 16 years after his first Wimbledon title, then that would have been the cherry on the icing on the cake. I'd go as far as to say that it would have been the greatest final ever IMO - above even Federer/Nadal in 2008.

But, as it is, we still got a beautifully-iced (if cherryless) cake - and, I'd definitely still put it in the top 5 greatest ever Wimbledon finals :) . I can't complain too much about not getting my preferred result, when the match itself was brilliant!!!