The Coffee House
Wimbledon 2019 - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Recreation and Media (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: Sports and Physical Activities (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Wimbledon 2019 (/showthread.php?tid=3856)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 06-25-2019

So, the 2019 Wimbledon championships are due to start at the beginning of next week!

As usual, I'll start with a few questions:

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Paul - 06-26-2019

Djokovic will win. The ladies is well and truly open. Wouldn't be surprised if Serena wins tbh or even Sharapova.

Seeing a 1 next to Barty still seems unreal. Not confident she's gonna win but hopeful.

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 06-26-2019

Well, Barty did withdraw from Eastbourne with a shoulder problem. I hope it's just precautionary (or to get some rest after winning her past two tournaments), and it's not going to affect her at Wimbledon...

Also, I see Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn. Apparently, her shoulder injury from the French Open still isn't better :( .

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 06-27-2019

Well, the tournament hasn't even begun, and there's already been a major surprise. 15-year-old Cori Gauff has qualified for the tournament :O :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48787086

She becomes the youngest Wimbledon participant in the Open Era, and the first 15-year-old to make it since Laura Robson in 2009.

Good luck to her!

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-01-2019

A few shockers on the first day:

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Jarkko - 07-02-2019

GO CANADIANS! Canada

[19] FAA beat Vašek Pospišil in four sets in the latter's comeback after Vashy had to have back surgery. For a guy just coming back, he put up a helluva fight! Besides the seeds eliminated that have already been mentioned for the men, [32] Lajović was beat in four by Hubert Hurkacz (who is no slouch), and [16] Monfils retired in the fifth set. All the other seeds went through, as did a few seeds from years bygone or notable unseeded players, like Marcel Granollers, Jeremy Chardy, Fernando Verdasco, Ivo Karlovic, Janko Tipsarevic, Andreas Seppi, and Feliciano Lopez. Gregor Dimitrov is out, though. He lost in five to Corentin Moutet after being up two sets to love. 

I noticed that Canada Brayden Schnur is in the main draw as well. He has a potentially tough first-round opponent in Marcos Baghdatis, but I'm excited to see how he does!

Ladies' Singles - Besides the Osaka upset, most of the seeds did go on. French Open finalist [16] Marketa Vondroušová didn't though, losing in straight sets, [23] Garcia got thwacked in the second set as she lost 6-4 6-0 to Zhang Shuai, [29] Daria Kasatkina really got blitzed by Alja Tomljanovic, and [10] Aryna Sabalenka lost in straights to Maggie Rybarikova. All in straight sets. Ouchies. -_-

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-02-2019

Wow, after her heroics at the French open, that's quite a fall from grace for Vondroušová :O ! Then again, I guess she's likely to become more consistent with age.

Pity Pospisil had to retire with back surgery :( . Still, it is good to see him back.

I'll admit I've never come across Brayden Schnur before. Good luck to him :) !

No, no, this was Pospisil's comeback after back surgery. Sorry, I worded that poorly.

Brayden Schnur turned a few heads earlier this year (I think he went deep in some pre-Aussie tournament) but kinda dropped off the radar for a while. He's a former NCAA star, though. I'd like to see him succeed, obviously ;)

RE: Wimbledon 2019 - Kyng - 07-02-2019

OK, thanks for clarifying :) .

Looks like Schnur is going no further: he lost his match 6-2 6-4 6-4 :( .

Now, a couple more notable results:

Shapovalov's out too. A bit surprising, really. :( What's more surprising, though, is that Federer dropped a set in his opening round match :O No other men's seeds have been eliminated... yet. :P Nikoloz Basilashvili came awfully close though - went to 8-6 in the fifth set!

[26] Muguruza and [32] Tsurenko are out on the women's side. So is Eugenie Bouchard, who also lost in an extended fifth set, 8-6.