The Coffee House
Condé Nast Traveler [YouTube channel] - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: History and Civilizations (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Condé Nast Traveler [YouTube channel] (/showthread.php?tid=3854)

Pages: 1 2

Condé Nast Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 06-25-2019

A few days ago, I posted a video featuring 50 Americans (one from each state), all trying to describe their state's accent. Since then, I've seen quite a few of these videos - and, I thought I should start a thread for them :P .

They have videos on a variety of travel-related topics (for example, cities, hotels and road trips); however, my personal favourites are those of the previously-described format. Either they'll get on a bunch of people from around the world to talk about an aspect of their country, or they'll bring on a bunch of Americans to talk about some aspect of their state. For example, here's another "50 Americans" one, this time where each American takes a short quiz about their own state:

If you're American, how far would you have got with that quiz? Or, if you're not American, would you have done any better? (I knew most of the state capitals, but after that, I was pretty lost :( !)

(Also, before anyone brings this up: no, I don't know why the guy from Massachusetts was eliminated for correctly identifying that his state flower was the mayflower!)

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - JR - 07-21-2019

I seen one of they’re videos where they had everyone from each 50 state perform they’re accent.  I was kinda surprised with the Baltimore one.

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 10:57 AM)Wobo Wrote: I seen one of they’re videos where they had everyone from each 50 state perform they’re accent.  I was kinda surprised with the Baltimore one.

Yeah, I posted that video in the Regional Accents and Dialects thread - before I watched more of their videos and decided they deserved their own topic :lol: !

I guess a lot of places will have a lot of internal variation in their accents. For example, Liverpool has its distinctive Scouse accent - but, even then, Scouse accents are not all alike. (I've heard that people from Liverpool can tell from someone's accent which part of the city they're from!)

Anyway, I saw another of these videos, and there's something I need to comment on:

Why did the British person mix up "England" and "the UK"? That's the kind of thing we make fun of foreigners for doing :-/ ...

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - JR - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 11:28 AM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 10:57 AM)Wobo Wrote: I seen one of they’re videos where they had everyone from each 50 state perform they’re accent.  I was kinda surprised with the Baltimore one.

Yeah, I posted that video in the Regional Accents and Dialects thread - before I watched more of their videos and decided they deserved their own topic :lol: !

I guess a lot of places will have a lot of internal variation in their accents. For example, Liverpool has its distinctive Scouse accent - but, even then, Scouse accents are not all alike. (I've heard that people from Liverpool can tell from someone's accent which part of the city they're from!)

Anyway, I saw another of these videos, and there's something I need to comment on:

Why did the British person mix up "England" and "the UK"? That's the kind of thing we make fun of foreigners for doing :-/ ...

Yeah. I get mixed up with UK and England also, probably because we foreigners think it’s the same thing or something like that. Odd for someone who lives in Britain to confuse they’re own country though.

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 07-21-2019

(07-21-2019, 08:38 PM)Wobo Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 11:28 AM)Kyng Wrote:

Yeah. I get mixed up with UK and England also, probably because we foreigners think it’s the same thing or something like that. Odd for someone who lives in Britain to confuse they’re own country though.

Yeah, I can understand foreigners mixing them up: England has 80-90% of the UK's population, and the non-England parts of the UK (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) are quite culturally distinct from England.

I can't understand British people getting them mixed up, though, since this is something we're all taught at school at a very young age!

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - JR - 07-28-2019

Ah you beat me to the National slogan video lol.

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 07-28-2019

Yeah, I wonder whether they'll do any more 'countries' videos at some point?

I mean, I like the 'states' ones, but countries would be nice too, and they haven't made any of those for a while!

RE: Condé Nest Traveler [YouTube channel] - JR - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 07:43 PM)Kyng Wrote: Yeah, I wonder whether they'll do any more 'countries' videos at some point?

I mean, I like the 'states' ones, but countries would be nice too, and they haven't made any of those for a while!

Yeah that video was more interesting than the states one.

RE: Condé Nast Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 09-05-2019

I have to admit, I haven't really been taken by their recent videos :( .

For example, their latest one is "50 people name the most hipster town in their state" - which, to be honest, I really don't care about. Some of the more recent ones also had lots of states with the same answer (e.g. the "Guess the main industry in your state" ones), or lots of states where there was no good answer (e.g. the "Name a dessert from your state" one). I liked the accents one, and the mini-quiz one, but it seems like they've run out of good ideas and now they're scraping the bottom of the barrel :( .

IMO, they'd be better off going back to countries for a while, or even doing some more generic touristy videos (none of which I've watched, but I am aware that they exist).

RE: Condé Nast Traveler [YouTube channel] - Kyng - 09-10-2019

Their latest video is a bit better: the 50 people all guess the population of their states. Some pretty good guesses here, but also some that were wildly off :lol: .

Also, the video itself contained a pretty big mistake in the editing:

[Image: 7mE6NmG.png]

(The representative from South Dakota guessed 850,000, which is pretty darn close: in fact, her guess was probably one of the best in the entire video :O !!!)