The Coffee House
Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Tech and Engineering (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? (/showthread.php?tid=3779)

Pages: 1 2

Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Ravenfreak - 06-17-2019

As the title states have you ever got mistaken to be part of the staff on any of the forums you've joined? I happened to get a few notifications for the Tapatalk app so I opened it up and noticed I got a message from a member stating their forum was deleted and they asked me what happened to it. They thought I was a Tapatalk staff member. I noticed that the message is old, so I didn't bother responding yet. :V I did recently obtained the old directory forum Yuku was using before the merge to Tapatalk, so maybe someone thought I was staff because I own that now. :lol:

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Shiny Star - 06-17-2019

I saw the title of this thread and my initial thought was ‘wait, this happens?’. Then, once you explained your situation, I see why people would make the mistake on the odd occasion. Personally, this has never happened to me.

Back in my early days of forums, I was a spammy member that typically broke the rules by accident or probably just annoyed people with my poor grammar. I don’t think anyone would have accidentally assumed that the ‘Shiny Star that was active on an array of forums’ was staff. A lot of the time as well, staff have bold usernames in a different colour to the standard member so that’s big giveaway. I guess that some people could make the mistake if they’ve seen the same person on multiple forums or they ‘mini-mod’. Or, maybe they deem certain people to be helpful or easy to talk to!

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Moonshroom - 06-17-2019

Well, considering everyone here does what I order... ;)

But seriously now, there was one time where I noticed my nickname had a different color than the usual standard member's and I thought "hey! My efforts are finally being recognized!"... turns out, they were just playing around with the themes xD

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Kyng - 06-17-2019

Only once in 2005 (I think?), when the InvisionFree support forum gave everyone the 'Admin' group colour and badge (but obviously none of the associated privileges) as an April Fools joke :P .

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Pyrite - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 01:34 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Well, considering everyone here does what I order... ;)

Not quite everyone. ;) 

I used to be staff on a few forums, so it may well have happened to me. I can't recall a particular occasion where it happened, though.

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - queenzelda - 06-17-2019

This happened to me before. Someone thought I was a mod on a Nintendo forum, when they were thinking of someone else. It doesn't matter now since that forum is no more due to their server going out.

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Lurkerish Allsorts - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 01:34 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Well, considering everyone here does what I order... ;)
I am sure @"Neo" would like to have a word with you about that :P

(06-17-2019, 06:45 AM)Kyng Wrote: Only once in 2005 (I think?), when the InvisionFree support forum gave everyone the 'Admin' group colour and badge (but obviously none of the associated privileges) as an April Fools joke :P .
Heh I remember that.

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Ann - 06-17-2019

I have never been mistaken for staff but have been made staff at 2 forums without asking me first.

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Shiny Star - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 06:17 PM)Ann Wrote: I have never been mistaken for staff but have been made staff at 2 forums without asking me first.

Really? That's awful. A lot of people do not want to become staff, which is perfectly acceptable. Was this by two different people?

RE: Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum? - Lurkerish Allsorts - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Shiny Star Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:17 PM)Ann Wrote: I have never been mistaken for staff but have been made staff at 2 forums without asking me first.

Really? That's awful. A lot of people do not want to become staff, which is perfectly acceptable. Was this by two different people?

The funny thing is the Invisionfree support forum (later Zetaboards) used to do this long before I was staff. Some people just logged in the next day to find out they were promoted to staff.