The Coffee House
Windows XP ends for good - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Tech and Engineering (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Windows XP ends for good (/showthread.php?tid=3104)

Pages: 1 2

Windows XP ends for good - Deleted User 8 - 04-10-2019

Quote:After 17 years, support for the last Windows XP variant comes to an end. Because of changes coming to Windows Update, users have until July to apply final patches.

Extended support for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009—the last supported version of Windows based on Windows XP—ended on April 9, 2019, marking the final end of the Windows NT 5.1 product line after 17 years, 7 months, and 16 days. Counting this edition, Windows XP is the longest-lived version of Windows ever—a record that is unlikely to be beaten.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-xp-dies-final-death-as-embedded-posready-2009-reaches-end-of-life/

Well, it's about time. I expect the market share to drop significantly in the next month or two (as it currently stands at 1.75% as of March 2019). When the original incarnation of XP ended, 14% of the world still clinged on to it. And that was five years ago.

RE: Windows XP ends for good - Moonshroom - 04-10-2019

A great OS and a breath of fresh air after the dumpster fires that were 2000 and ME.

Thanks for all the Pinball hours and rest easy, you lovingly frustrating OS.

RE: Windows XP ends for good - Deleted User 8 - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 03:56 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: A great OS and a breath of fresh air after the dumpster fires that were 2000 and ME.
As someone who actually liked Win2k, I take great offense to that Angry Sure, XP was good but it was heavily bloated compared to its predecessor.

RE: Windows XP ends for good - Moonshroom - 04-10-2019

Are you actually offended, though?

Naw, not really. Just didn't like you slandering Win2k like that :P

RE: Windows XP ends for good - Lurkerish Allsorts - 04-10-2019

(04-10-2019, 04:48 PM)BrynStevens Wrote: Naw, not really. Just didn't like you slandering Win2k like that :P

Win2K was decent, but for Home usage it wans't seller. The issue wth Win2K was that it was more meant of a server OS and for businesses. It didn't support DOS programs (that well or at all I forget) which a majority of software targeting Home use still either required or needed, Windows XP solved this issue by added a DOS compatibility layer where at lease some if not close to all software that required DOS could still be used.

RE: Windows XP ends for good - Nilla - 04-10-2019

People are still using this?  :lol:

(04-10-2019, 04:52 PM)Nilla Wrote: People are still using this?  :lol:

This is going to sound bad, my previous job still had Windows XP machines connected to the internet, along with a Windows 2003 server, and 2 Windows 2000 servers.

My previous job was at a radiology clinic, and it wasn't an issue of "Oh this expensive peice of medical equitment only works with this hardware which only has windows 2000 drivers" No the Windows 2000 servers were file servers, the Windows 2003 was ACTIVE FREAKING DIRECTORY, and the XP machines were for medical coders (ICD medical coding for the insurance companies), and billers at one office.

I was not happy not say the least.

(04-10-2019, 04:51 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: The issue wth Win2K was that it was more meant of a server OS and for businesses.
Yeah, I get you there. But people only used it as their main OS when they wanted to avoid ME like the plague, and perhaps XP also when it was just new. Back when it was first released, people actually hated it.

Not anymore they won't be, unless they want to be owned by WannaCry again 8D

(04-10-2019, 05:11 PM)BrynStevens Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 04:51 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: The issue wth Win2K was that it was more meant of a server OS and for businesses.
Yeah, I get you there. But people only used it as their main OS when they wanted to avoid ME like the plague, and perhaps XP also when it was just new. Back when it was first released, people actually hated it.

Not anymore they won't be, unless they want to be owned by WannaCry again 8D

Yes people hated XP when it first came out (the ugly shade of green of Pro that you couldn't change), but it also didn't fail as much as ME in terms of crashes and drivers. Yes XP was some what of a beast back then, but it got better over time, unlike other Windows OSes *cough*10*cough*