The Coffee House
Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements and Feedback (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feedback and Suggestions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) (/showthread.php?tid=3097)

Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Kyng - 04-09-2019

About three months ago, The Last Outlaw set up a thread regarding his forum, asking for feedback on his banner (I think it was in "The Internet", but I can't remember for sure). This worried me a bit: I acknowledged that he wasn't doing this to advertise, but I was worried that allowing this thread would set a precedent that would, in effect, allow people to advertise outside the designated 'Advertising' area. Therefore, I merged the thread into his advertising thread. 

Now, the same situation has come up again, where Megan has set up a thread (in "The Internet"), asking whether she should move her forum to MyBB, or stick with phpBB. According to the precedent I set with The Last Outlaw, I should merge Megan's new thread into her advertising thread. 

However, now that I think about it... this business of "merging the threads" is silly. If I do that, then people are less likely to see (and respond to) the requests for advice: instead of seeing a thread asking for help, they'll see an advertising thread and skip over it. I think I made the wrong decision by merging The Last Outlaw's threads - and, therefore, I would like to apologise to him for mishandling his situation three months ago

Still, I don't want to leave open this loophole where people can effectively 'advertise' outside the designated area, even if that's not necessarily their primary intention. Therefore, I'd like to make a couple of changes to the 'Advertising' sub-forum, in order to fix the outstanding issue with forum advice threads: 

So, should I go ahead with these changes to the 'Advertising' sub-forum?

RE: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - The Last Outlaw - 04-09-2019

Since I was the one who set the precedent, I believe I would say that this is the best direction.  Regardless of how you want to do it, I will back your decisions 100%!

RE: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Shiny Star - 04-10-2019

I'm also happy about this alteration. It seems very logical to me.

RE: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Pyrite - 04-10-2019

I agree with this. It makes sense for people to be given opportunity to receive feedback on their sites, without intentionally advertising. Cause then people who perhaps favour sticking to one or two forums can give advice without being pressured into joining.

RE: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Deleted User 8 - 04-10-2019

I'll join the bandwagon. Go for it.

RE: Forum advice threads (and the 'Advertising' sub-forum) - Kyng - 04-11-2019

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll set about implementing this now :) !