The Coffee House
A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: History and Civilizations (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" (/showthread.php?tid=2328)

Pages: 1 2

A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Kyng - 01-17-2019

In the Mandela Effect, Reyzadren brought up a list of 7 structures, which he always thought were the 7 wonders of the world, but which he could never find on any "7 Wonders" list. This reminded me of a thread which existed on the old forum, where we tried to come up with a list of "7 wonders of the modern world". That thread hasn't been posted in since 2010 - so, I think it's time we gave it another go, for anybody who wasn't around back then :lol:

What I want you to do is post a list of your "7 wonders of the modern world". You can choose any seven structures, subject to the following restrictions: 

So, here are mine. I've picked two from Asia (the largest and most populous continent), and one from each of the other five populated continents (though you don't have to do this - that's just what I've chosen to do): 

So, that's my personal list. What does yours look like?

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Detective Osprey - 01-17-2019

CN Tower is a marvel to look at. It's the tallest free-standing structure in North America... which I think I'd put on my list. I'll have to think of others, this list is going to be hard.

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Reyzadren - 01-17-2019

Tbf, I'm quite content with that Mandela Wonders list, unless I were to completely change all 7 for a new list, of course. Here though, I shall only swap out 1 structure:

* Eiffel tower
* Leaning tower of Pisa
* Colloseum
* Taj Mahal
* Great Wall of China Burj Khalifa
* Pyramid
* Statue of Liberty

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Kyng - 01-18-2019

(01-17-2019, 09:57 PM)Reyzadren Wrote: Tbf, I'm quite content with that Mandela Wonders list, unless I were to completely change all 7 for a new list, of course. Here though, I shall only swap out 1 structure:

* Eiffel tower
* Leaning tower of Pisa
* Colloseum
* Taj Mahal
* Great Wall of China Burj Khalifa
* Pyramid
* Statue of Liberty

Nice list :) . I did consider the Burj Khalifa, given that it smashed the record for the world's tallest building, and there's nothing quite like it in the world today; however, I'm not sure whether it'll be as special in 50 years' time (it may be that there are taller skyscrapers by then, and even if there aren't, skyscrapers of similar size might be commonplace).

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose to swap out the Great Wall of China?

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Reyzadren - 01-18-2019

^The wall was the one structure that I forgot while posting in the previous thread XD

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Pyrite - 01-19-2019

Having read the rules, here are my picks, with honourable mentions in brackets. I've tried to do some diversity in terms of the picks, rather than just picking lots of buildings or structures of the same type. My plan was to have one symbolic tower, two religious building/temples/graves, one military build, one statue, one 'lost' city and one commercial building.

Eiffel Tower [Big Ben / Elizabeth Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa]
Pyramids [Angkor Wat, Hagia Sophia]
Taj Mahal [Acropolis, St Basil's Cathedral]
Great Wall of China [Colosseum, Brandenburg Gate]
Christ the Redeemer [Statue of Liberty, Moai Statues]
Machu Picchu [Petra, Chichen Itza]
Petronas Towers [Sydney Opera House, Empire State Building]

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Kyng - 01-19-2019

Interesting set of criteria there :) ! Looking back at my own list, I see I've achieved a similar mix of buildings with different purposes, even though it wasn't what I was going for :lol:

I'm never sure how to judge commercial buildings for a list like this. It's certainly possible to make a case for the Petronas Towers: they may no longer be the world's biggest commercial buildings, but they are among the most architecturally interesting of all major skyscrapers (perhaps rivalled only by Taipei 101). The thing is, the most impressive commercial buildings are all comparatively recent, and newer and bigger ones are constructed so rapidly that the marvels of today will be outdone tomorrow. They haven't really "stood the test of time" yet, in the way that the structures from the other categories have. 

(Then again, was "standing the test of time" ever part of the criteria for the original list of wonders? The Colossus of Rhodes only existed in its complete form for 54 years!)

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Pyrite - 01-19-2019

Yeah, I guess my thinking there was that they are one of the more iconic 'tallest buildings' and have been going for quite a while. My hesitancy with including newer builds is that they are recent things - Petronas Towers manage to be well-known, iconic, architecturally good looking and have stood for a while. The other thing was that whilst lots of people know about Taipei 101 and the Burj Khalifa, they're just tall buildings which you can only really admire for being...well...tall.

On another note, it'd be interesting to, off the back of this, compile a list of natural wonders of the world.

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Kyng - 01-19-2019

Yeah, I definitely agree on the Burj Khalifa. It's just not an interesting design to look at, and while it's the tallest building in the world now, it's set to lose that title to the 1km-high Jeddah Tower when it's completed in 2021. Taipei 101 is more interesting to look at than the Burj Khalifa, but still less so than the Petronas Towers IMO.

And, yes, I'd definitely like to have a similar topic in the Earth and Space forum, for natural wonders of the world. I'll start one once I've come up with a suitable list (or you can do it if you've got one in mind!)

RE: A modern "7 Wonders of the World" - Kyng - 06-07-2022

I've already posted a modern "7 Wonders of the World" list, consisting of 7 iconic structures built throughout human history, that are still standing today. However, not all of these wonders are particularly 'modern': some of them are quite ancient :P . So, I decided to compile a separate list of seven "Wonders of the 20th Century".

Here are the rules I used for this list. If you want to compile your own "7 Wonders of the 20th Century", then you're welcome to use these - but you're also welcome to use your own rules:

Based on the above criteria, here are the seven "Wonders of the 20th Century" that I chose:

United States Mount Rushmore. A survivor from my original "Modern Wonders" list.
Brazil Christ the Redeemer. I thought it was too old - but, I just checked, and it was built between 1922 and 1931, so it gets to go on the list.
France The Louvre Pyramid. The Great Pyramid of Giza is the sole survivor of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - so, I thought it was fitting that this list would also include a pyramid :P .
Egypt The Aswan High Dam. This was a very difficult pick: when I think of "20th-century African architecture", absolutely nothing comes to mind -_- ! And this isn't even interesting to look at: it's just a dam :lol: . But it did tame Africa's greatest river, after thousands of years of flooding - which is quite a monumental achievement in and of itself.
Malaysia Petronas Towers. The tallest buildings constructed in the 20th century, with interesting architecture to boot.
Australia Sydney Opera House. Another survivor from my "Modern Wonders" list.
Canada CN Tower. For my seventh 'wildcard' pick that could be from anywhere in the world, I went with the highest self-supporting structure that existed at the end of the 20th Century.

Overall, I'm happy with six of my seven picks. The only one I'm unhappy with is my African pick - so, if anybody has any better ideas, then please let me know. Or maybe there just isn't anything from Africa that's worthy of inclusion on a "Wonders of the 20th Century" list, and I should instead make a second wildcard pick (which could be from anywhere in the world outside North America, since I already picked the CN Tower as my first wildcard?)