The Coffee House
Are you privileged? - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Forum: Quizzes and Trivia (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Forum: Personality Quizzes (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: Are you privileged? (/showthread.php?tid=2033)

Are you privileged? - Shiny Star - 12-14-2018

A YouTuber that I like did a video about this quiz. I found it very interesting so did it myself thus shared it. I scored 35, which equates to having some struggles but not the worst of the worst. I’m not privileged and I agree with that.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you

RE: Are you privileged? - Kyng - 12-14-2018

I got 65/100, which sounds about right. 

I certainly have my struggles, but at the same time, I can definitely appreciate that other people out there have it worse than I do :( .

RE: Are you privileged? - Moonshroom - 12-14-2018

50/100.

I must say that some of those questions felt either uncomfortable to be asked to or just out of line.

This test honestly seems like it was engineered to make you feel underprivileged more than anything, as it goes after things that are either a common issue right now or the vast majority of people have encountered at one point in the past.

If anything, I feel a little guilty for being "half-privileged" at the end.

RE: Are you privileged? - queenzelda - 12-14-2018

I got 51/100.

Yea, I definitely agree with the questions being abit too intrusive. But, it is what it is. I'm more then a little over half privileged by 1, but eh. Is it sad I'm not bothered by that? I mean things could be worse.

RE: Are you privileged? - The Last Outlaw - 12-14-2018

You live with 24 out of 100 points of privilege.You're underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bfsharecopy&utm_term=.ij9Y49WOzB&bfsource=bfocompareon&quiz_result=2762051_1218986#2762051

RE: Are you privileged? - Megan - 12-15-2018

I forget what my exact score was but it was in the 80's I wanna say. *shrug* I wasn't really fond of it. Seemed to make you feel bad if you are. I mean, some stuff you have no control over. But at the same time I don't feel I'm quite that privileged. Some stuff it went deep into while other stuff it barely touched.

RE: Are you privileged? - Shiny Star - 12-15-2018

(12-15-2018, 12:21 AM)Megan Wrote: I forget what my exact score was but it was in the 80's I wanna say. *shrug* I wasn't really fond of it. Seemed to make you feel bad if you are. I mean, some stuff you have no control over. But at the same time I don't feel I'm quite that privileged. Some stuff it went deep into while other stuff it barely touched.

I agree with this. People don’t have control over so many aspects of their lives, especially when they’re growing up as a child. You’re born into that lifestyle and it’s not like you chose to have the opportunities that you did. 

I also agree with the fact that it delved deeply into particular topics and didn’t touch on other ones. For example, there were quite a few questions about identity, education and money. However, it didn’t really address matters like abuse, domestic violence or neglect. Needless to say, as long as we’re grateful for what we have, privileged or not, that’s important.

RE: Are you privileged? - Megan - 12-15-2018

(12-15-2018, 02:38 AM)Shiny Star Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 12:21 AM)Megan Wrote: I forget what my exact score was but it was in the 80's I wanna say. *shrug* I wasn't really fond of it. Seemed to make you feel bad if you are. I mean, some stuff you have no control over. But at the same time I don't feel I'm quite that privileged. Some stuff it went deep into while other stuff it barely touched.

I agree with this. People don’t have control over so many aspects of their lives, especially when they’re growing up as a child. You’re born into that lifestyle and it’s not like you chose to have the opportunities that you did. 

I also agree with the fact that it delved deeply into particular topics and didn’t touch on other ones. For example, there were quite a few questions about identity, education and money. However, it didn’t really address matters like abuse, domestic violence or neglect. Needless to say, as long as we’re grateful for what we have, privileged or not, that’s important. 

That's very true! =3

RE: Are you privileged? - Reyzadren - 01-22-2019

70/100

Not really? The test seems to focus on a lot of weird questions though :/

RE: Are you privileged? - Lurkerish Allsorts - 01-27-2019

Hooy boy I was bored and browsing the forum this title caught my attention, now I went though the test...and not only are some one these invasive but mean diddly squat.
"I am white" At lease they are honest off what the bat what they are really talking about...IF there was any honesty in this quit they would also put Asian, as statically Asians do even better then whites in the US.
"I have never been told I am 'attractive for my race'" So being "ugly" is privilege now.
"I have never been called a racial slur" my friends who'se ideology align with buzzfeed says that "Cracker" and "Nazi" (due to German/Austrian and Finnish heritage don't count...)
I'm pretty sure although straight I've been called those sexuality "slurs" before at lease once from the internet, because Im an old school internet user
Sure I never tried to hide my sexuality but I never put it out there to start with....
"I am always conferable with PDA with my partner in public" uhhhh Finnish heritage is strong with me in this one... (stoic public facing stereotype)
The Religion/Sexuality questions seem to forget that there are some major religions that reject sexuality outright (outside of procreation) such as Jehovah Witness')
"I am a man" - So I am more at risk to be killed or servery injured at work, more likely to be drafted and killed or servery injured in war, less likely to get shelter and aid if I am homeless, and forget about any shelter if I am a victim of domestic abuse.
"I have never been denied an opportunity because of my gender" - I keep on seeing internships, clubs, etc open to females only in my professional field same with college grants.
"I have never been raped" Can't be raped if "forced to penetrate" isn't considered rape.
"I work a salaried job" --- Whoa hold on there... many times especially in IT salary means "We will misclassify you as exempt from Over time payment, make you work 80+ hour weeks and expect you to be on call at all times" Yes that is so privilege right there, 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurencebradford/2018/06/19/why-we-need-to-talk-about-burnout-in-the-tech-industry/#484b5a614063
"MY parents pay some/all of my bills" - This can go either way, I know people who'se parents pay some if not all their bills because their jobs are not paying them enough and sure yes that is some form of privilage the fact that they are in their late 20s or older, with degrees and companies still won't pay a living wage is alarming.
"I don't relay on public transportation" Again this can go either way, In the country and many subburbs in the US you would be privilage to have public transportation things are so far apart you need a car to live it is not "luxury"
"I buy new cloths at lease once a month" -- I have seen cheap cloths that will become unusable after a wash or two Although the cloths are cheap need to be replaced at a higher rate then more expensive (but not "I am buying for fun" cloths.
"I have never felt poor" -- This is subjective and if you are a millionaire in a room with a bunch of billionaires (and never knew being even upper middle class or below) you might feel "poor".
"I have never worked as a waitress..." There are waitstaff and others who make big bank off of tips making more then I did in my highest paying job, again, that would be privilege.
"I have had multiple unpaid interships" - this goes both ways, on one hand given how US companies abuse unpaid internships (making them do actual work in violation of US law) you are allowing your self to be used, at the other hand it generally means you can afford it, but at the same time some times it is the only way to get in to your field of choice so you need to tough it out even if you can't afford to.
"I had a car in high school" - again ingoring those who do not live in big cities in the US. Some Suburban and even more so in the country this is required due to distance / needing to work a job after school/ etc
"I don't know what 'Sallie Mea' is" Yes because those African AIDs orphans and people living in South America are so privilaged!
"My parents are hetrosexual" wat...are you saying that Homosexuals make unfit/unloving parents? *cough*
"My parents are still married" Clearly these people never heard about the old "unloving marraige but staying together for the kids/too religious for divorce" type.
"I have never taken medication for my mental health" ...uh....What if you are too poor TO AFFORD IT?!
"I never had people tell me I am overweight or too skinny" - "I never could afford medical appoitments nor did I ever have people who care about my health in my life"
"I have used Prescription drugs recreationally" -- "I am an addic and steal the pills from my sick SO/child/parents/friend"
"I never had an addition" Damn it You can't have it both ways Buzzfeed
"I have never been shamed for my religious views" aka I never was on the internet before the 2010s.
"You never heard "You have been selected randomly for secondary passport control"   - Nor would any one not privileged enough to travel internationally.
"No one has ever tried to 'save' me for my religious views" -  again something some one who wasn't on the internet c. pre 2010 would experience I have had many atheists  try to "save" me from religion. There was even a time where the "edgelord/euphoric atheist"was an point of mockery because of how they acted like what they opposed.
"Ive never been called a terrorist" - Uh I have by the far left becuase I don't buy in them all that much.

Buzzfeed is so self far up its own bum, it doesn't realize that the world is a complex place that is not only in the major population centers of the United States.