The Coffee House
Possible Discord channel changes - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements and Feedback (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feedback and Suggestions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Possible Discord channel changes (/showthread.php?tid=1705)

Pages: 1 2

Possible Discord channel changes - Kyng - 11-08-2018

It's not often that I post stuff relating to the Discord on the forum :P . However, in this case, I think it's appropriate: I want to post this here to give everyone a chance to express their thoughts on the matter over the next couple of days. That doesn't really work on the Discord itself: chats on there are ephemeral and get buried very quickly, so anyone who isn't online shortly after I post is going to miss it :P

Anyway, Pokemon73 recently informed me that there's a trivia bot for Discord. I think this sounds great, and I'm very keen to have it installed. I also asked about Uno bots, and apparently there's one of these too; however, queenzelda expressed doubts as to whether it worked. So, we'll give it a go, but we can't make any promises :(

Of course, we have quite a few channels anyway, and we'd be adding one more here for the trivia bot (two more if we can also get the Uno bot working). So, I think this would be a good time to clear out some old, underused channels. My suggestions are as follows: 

So, should I go ahead with these?

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Detective Osprey - 11-08-2018

No don’t get rid of science channel. I have the srsbns channel muted. for a REASON

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Deleted User 8 - 11-08-2018

I only ever care for the #general channel for random chit-chat so, I have all channels muted anyway. If you feel that these aforementioned channels are really of no use then, make the change necessary.

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Kyng - 11-08-2018

Well, it seems that people want to keep #science_and_maths (I just had @"5819" telling me I should keep it), but I agree that the Discord RPG is useless. 

So, how about keeping the science and maths channel, but broadening its focus somewhat? Maybe so that it covers all of the 'Intellectual Discussions' stuff (except for politics, which is already in #srsbsns)

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - queenzelda - 11-08-2018

Well, a friend of mine who runs his own server said that in order to get an uno bot installed, he'd have to pay for it. Idk, if there's a free version, so it's why I'm doubtful.

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Pokemon73 - 11-09-2018

Well I'm ok if we change discordrpg channel to other, since it could still be used if people ever want to use it

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Kyng - 11-09-2018

(11-09-2018, 02:04 AM)Pokemon73 Wrote: Well I'm ok if we change discordrpg channel to other, since it could still be used if people ever want to use it

TBH I find that highly doubtful. It's been up for two years, and nobody else has shown any interest in it. 

I really think it's doing nothing but just taking up space at this point :( .

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Nick - 11-09-2018

(11-08-2018, 08:55 PM)Kyng Wrote: So, how about keeping the science and maths channel, but broadening its focus somewhat? Maybe so that it covers all of the 'Intellectual Discussions' stuff (except for politics, which is already in #srsbsns)

I for one like the idea of having a science & math channel, but frankly it's just not being used like one, so I do agree with broadening its focus.

My suggestion would be to:
1) Replace #science_and_maths with something like #science-tech; this would encompass math, science, nature, health, technology, etc.

2) Replace #srsbsns with something like #politics which could be for politics, history, philosophy, ideology, etc., which seems to pop up every now and again in the Discord.

In this way, we still support the occasional philosophy/politics discussion - which are often inseparable topics - but still allow those interested in general science to be excluded from the politics.

3) If you're planning on moving towards bots, I also suggest potentially re-purposing the discordrpg into a "general bots commands" channel. I know you plan on providing specific channels for specific bot uses (UNO, trivia, others in the future maybe), but many bots have multiple, more general uses, so maybe having a #bot-commands channel might be useful for allowing people to do random bot stuff (check rank, RPG stuff if they wish, etc). I've seen a few bots have a mini economy system whereby you can "duel" others, bet, make polls, etc.

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Gaomon274 - 11-09-2018

I'd personally like to see more games added, just rename the RPG channel to Discord Games.

Could split scienceandmath into two. Intellectual Discussions and then Current Events could house the storm stuff and maybe other lighter news things while more serious news topics and politics stay in srsbusiness. Or just go with the rename and broader topic, that would probably be less confusing.

RE: Possible Discord channel changes - Deleted User 35 - 11-09-2018

Current Events could often overlap with Serious Business though. People are always talking about how politicizing certain events are bad, but people do it anyway so it's somewhat unavoidable.