The Coffee House
Automatic avatar resize? - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements and Feedback (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feedback and Suggestions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Automatic avatar resize? (/showthread.php?tid=14664)

Automatic avatar resize? - Moonshroom - 02-21-2023

I realize that this isn't a problem for the vast majority of users, but it tends to get in the way for those of us stuck on mobile (since it involves third party, often online, software that results in monstrous loss of quality on the images), so... would it be at all possible to add a script that automatically resizes uploaded avatars to forum standards? I know that such a thing exists, I'm just not sure whether it does on this forum software or not.

Thanks in advance!

RE: Automatic avatar resize? - Nilla - 02-21-2023

I looked and it seems there is already an option for automatically resizing large avatars. I can change the max size that an avatar can be, since that option is not on at the moment. What do you count as "forum standards?" :P

RE: Automatic avatar resize? - Moonshroom - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 04:28 PM)Nilla Wrote: I looked and it seems there is already an option for automatically resizing large avatars. I can change the max size that an avatar can be, since that option is not on at the moment. What do you count as "forum standards?" :P

Yeah... by "forum standards" I mean the 150x150 pixels limit it currently enforces automatically.

Every time I go over it, it just won't do upload anything. I don't think it resizes anything. Might be broken, who knows.

So are avatars just too big for you or are you trying to upload something and it won't let you?

I am just trying to get a better idea so I can help you.

(02-21-2023, 04:40 PM)Nilla Wrote: So are avatars just too big for you or are you trying to upload something and it won't let you?

No, yeah, I get it.

Basically it won't let me upload anything over 150x150 pixels, which is fair. But at that size, every tool I have tried involves a massive loss of quality, so I was wondering if something could be added so the forum itself could do the resizing.

Right now, it simply won't take any files I upload even if they are a single pixel off.

(02-21-2023, 04:47 PM)Moonshroom Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 04:40 PM)Nilla Wrote: So are avatars just too big for you or are you trying to upload something and it won't let you?

No, yeah, I get it.

Basically it won't let me upload anything over 150x150 pixels, which is fair. But at that size, every tool I have tried involves a massive loss of quality, so I was wondering if something could be added so the forum itself could do the resizing.

Right now, it simply won't take any files I upload even if they are a single pixel off.

Ah. I'm not completely sure how to fix that, Kyng might. But, I get around that from this website: https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/

It doesn't take away quality, you just need the link for your image and then it will give you a seperate link to put in the avatar field of your UCP settings. If you run into a situation where you add an icon above 150x150, the forum still won't let you upload it, so I take a smaller avatar, link that one in the signature rotator and once it lets me save it, I go back and I take out the small icon. ;) If that makes sense. So that way you won't lose any quality :)

I will have a look.

Thank you :)

RE: Automatic avatar resize? - Kyng - 02-21-2023

I've had a quick look into this, and it seems that automatic avatar re-sizing is active on here. However, avatars had to be:

1) At most 150x150 pixels in size, and;
2) At most 50kB.

I'm not 100% sure how the automatic resizing works, but I believe it just scales the image down to fit within 150x150 pixels - and if the file size still exceeds 50kB after resizing, then it gives an error message.

However, I've now increased the limit to 100kB, so it might be worth trying again :) .

Works like a charm.

Thanks, Chuckie, VaNilla :)

RE: Automatic avatar resize? - Emerald - 02-22-2023

Automatic resizing of an avatar is good. Thank you Kyng