The Coffee House
Load warning Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Science and Nature (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Forum: Astronomy and Space Life (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+---- Thread: Load warning Pictures of beautiful objects in space (/showthread.php?tid=125)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Detective Osprey - 12-27-2018

I've never heard of it, that's beautiful.

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 11-28-2019

I think it's pretty criminal that this thread hasn't been posted in for almost a year :O ! So, time for me to revive it :P .

This is a picture of the Milky Way, as captured by the GLEAM survey:

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)
(Source: Natasha Hurley-Walker / Above article)

It's well worth looking at it at full size, since there's plenty of detail to appreciate (you can pick out the individual stars, for example). Also, the Sci-News article does have a mosaic of another 27 supernova remnants that have been detected by this mission (though, sadly, the images are all rather low-resolution :( )

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 07-12-2020

Here's a lovely picture of Comet Neowise, as seen over Stonehenge:

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 09-11-2020

Here's a lovely picture of the Andromeda Galaxy, which won photographer Nicolas Lefaudeux the 2020 Astronomy Photographer of the Year award:

[Image: ljhjID7.jpg]
(Source: Nicolas Lefaudeux / Royal Museums Greenwich)

You can see the winners in the different categories here, and you can see some of the other entries in each category by going to the Galleries index, and clicking the gallery that you're interested in :) .

Any that you liked the look of?

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 04-13-2021

NASA has just released this image of the surface of Mars, showing the 'Blue Dunes' near the northern polar ice cap:

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)
(Source: NASA/JPL-CalTech/ASU)

This picture is actually quite old (it combines various smaller images taken between 2002 and 2004); however, it's been released just this year, as part of a series to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 2001 Mars Odyssey mission.

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - SpookyZalost - 04-22-2021

(11-28-2019, 12:17 AM)Kyng Wrote: I think it's pretty criminal that this thread hasn't been posted in for almost a year :O ! So, time for me to revive it :P .

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)

It's well worth looking at it at full size, since there's plenty of detail to appreciate (you can pick out the individual stars, for example). Also, the Sci-News article does have a mosaic of another 27 supernova remnants that have been detected by this mission (though, sadly, the images are all rather low-resolution :( )

Anyone else think it looks like the nexus energy ribbon from star trek generations? lol.

also here's one of my favorite cool/beautiful things in space.

the Hourglass Nebula
[Image: MyCn18-crop.png]

Kinda looks like Sauron in space :P but it's really cool imho

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 04-23-2021

(04-22-2021, 07:35 PM)Spook of the lost Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 12:17 AM)Kyng Wrote: I think it's pretty criminal that this thread hasn't been posted in for almost a year :O ! So, time for me to revive it :P .

Click to enlarge
(Click to enlarge)

Anyone else think it looks like the nexus energy ribbon from star trek generations? lol.

also here's one of my favorite cool/beautiful things in space.

the Hourglass Nebula
[Image: MyCn18-crop.png]

Kinda looks like Sauron in space :P but it's really cool imho

Indeed, now that I look it up, I can definitely see what you mean :lol: .

And, yeah, that's a beautiful nebula - even if it does look as though it's staring at me :P .

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Kyng - 05-29-2021

Here's the spiral galaxy NGC 5037:

[Image: k9CE11N.jpg]

If you want to see a larger-resolution version of this, there's one on the NASA website :) .

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Jane - 05-30-2021

Beautiful. space is fascinating

RE: Pictures of beautiful objects in space - Emerald - 05-30-2021

Gorgeous array of pictures, thank you Kyng