The Coffee House
Moving in with a partner - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Topical discussions (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Health and Lifestyle (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Moving in with a partner (/showthread.php?tid=10837)

Pages: 1 2 3

Moving in with a partner - Shiny Star - 10-07-2021

When would you guys say the right time is to move in with a partner? Do you base it more on your money, situation or time together? What challenges did you find by moving in together?

I haven't moved in with anyone before but I thought of this today. I think for me I would want to have some money saved, maybe be able to drive and be dating the person for at least two years.

RE: Moving in with a partner - Kyng - 10-07-2021

Well, I guess this is something I'm going to have to think about one day :lol: !

I can't speak for my own situation (since my partner and I are still way too early in our relationship to even be considering it), but I can speak for one of my friends. He and his now-wife first got together at some point in mid-2020, and he moved in with her around the beginning of 2021 - so, only a few months later. He probably didn't plan to move in with her so quickly, but he did it because of the lockdown: he didn't want to be separated from her for an indefinite period of time.

(Anyway, they clearly didn't end up hating each other, since they got married in July :D !)

RE: Moving in with a partner - Cory - 10-16-2021

All I can say is trust would be like my number one factor for moving in with a partner, but that's kind of a given.

RE: Moving in with a partner - Kyng - 10-16-2021

(10-16-2021, 02:03 AM)Cory Wrote: All I can say is trust would be like my number one factor for moving in with a partner, but that's kind of a given.

Yeah, definitely - and it does take time to build up that level of trust!

Shiny Star: just a thought about the "dating for at least two years" requirement from the opening post. Does that still apply if you'd known the person well prior to dating them? (For example, if you'd been dating someone for one year, but you'd been friends with them for five years prior to that... then would you be more or less willing to move in with them than if you'd been dating them for two years, but didn't know them at all until you started dating?)

RE: Moving in with a partner - Cool Cory - 08-29-2023

My girlfriend and I are thinking of buying our own place. We became a couple during our final year of college, and have been together since then. :) We enjoy spending time with each other, never argue, and are happy when we're together.

RE: Moving in with a partner - Kyng - 08-29-2023

(08-29-2023, 07:29 AM)Cool Cory Wrote: My girlfriend and I are thinking of buying our own place. We became a couple during our final year of college, and have been together since then. :) We enjoy spending time with each other, never argue, and are happy when we're together.

Sounds good :D .

I wish the two of you all the best :) !

RE: Moving in with a partner - Shiny Star - 08-29-2023

(10-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 02:03 AM)Cory Wrote: All I can say is trust would be like my number one factor for moving in with a partner, but that's kind of a given.

Shiny Star: just a thought about the "dating for at least two years" requirement from the opening post. Does that still apply if you'd known the person well prior to dating them? (For example, if you'd been dating someone for one year, but you'd been friends with them for five years prior to that... then would you be more or less willing to move in with them than if you'd been dating them for two years, but didn't know them at all until you started dating?)

Late reply because I suck at looking at my notifications on here. I would say that with age and experience, my original view has shifted. I don’t think the time limit is as important as the trust and how comfortable you are with your life. I stand by needing a solid foundation but I would be open to moving in with someone sooner than two years if we had a solid foundation. 

I would say of dating regardless of how long I knew them before. I tend not to date people who I am friends with first anyway as it is often ends badly.

RE: Moving in with a partner - Kyng - 09-02-2023

(08-29-2023, 12:19 PM)Shiny Star Wrote: I would say of dating regardless of how long I knew them before. I tend not to date people who I am friends with first anyway as it is often ends badly.

I must be the polar opposite in that respect... I've only dated people I was friends with before (since I don't even become interested in dating someone until I at least know them :P ).

(Also, on both occasions when a friendship turned into something more, the other person initiated it - because I don't really have that skill either :lol: )

RE: Moving in with a partner - ~ True Legend ~ - 09-04-2023

(08-29-2023, 12:19 PM)Shiny Star Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Kyng Wrote:

Late reply because I suck at looking at my notifications on here. I would say that with age and experience, my original view has shifted. I don’t think the time limit is as important as the trust and how comfortable you are with your life. I stand by needing a solid foundation but I would be open to moving in with someone sooner than two years if we had a solid foundation. 

I would say of dating regardless of how long I knew them before. I tend not to date people who I am friends with first anyway as it is often ends badly.
Agreed - we all have to go at our own pace, just like with friendships where you can take years to be best friends or it could take months. Likewise, every relationship differs. I've known some couples to get married after a couple of years, yet I've known other couples to marry after a decade or so.

RE: Moving in with a partner - Shiny Star - 09-04-2023

Dating friends can work but it also permantly ruin a good friendship too, worse when the friendship groups are mixed.