The Coffee House
Shopping removed; Mental Health added - Printable Version

+- The Coffee House (https://tch-forum.com)
+-- Forum: Announcements and Feedback (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Announcements and Board Information (https://tch-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Shopping removed; Mental Health added (/showthread.php?tid=10407)

Shopping removed; Mental Health added - Kyng - 08-08-2021

For a while now, our board layout has been fairly static (the last new addition was "Ask Me Specifically", and that was over a year ago now!). However, following recent discussions, I have decided the time has come to make a couple more changes, which are as follows:

1) The 'Shopping' sub-forum of Health and Lifestyle has been removed

For a little over two years now, we have had a 'Shopping' sub-forum. At first, this was in the 'Recreation Station' forum - and then, when that section was removed, it was moved to 'Health and Lifestyle'. However, it was never really that successful: more than half of all posts there were in three low-quality threads ("Last thing you bought?", "What do you want to buy?", and "Last shop you went in?"). Secondly, there was a lot of overlap with other parts of the board: there were threads about food shopping that could go in Food and Drink, threads about clothes shopping that could go in Home and Beauty, threads about shopping apps could go into Technology and Computers, and so on. Thirdly, a lot of the threads weren't really "Health and Lifestyle": the threads about spending habits were, but the threads about shop closures weren't (unless those shops were specifically selling products that were themselves health-and-lifestyle-related, e.g. beauty products).

Therefore, I have decided to break up the 'Shopping' sub-forum, as follows:

However, the main reason why I got rid of 'Shopping' was to make way for the following:

2) A new "Mental Health" sub-forum has been added

About a week ago, loves2chat suggested adding a new sub-forum dedicated to mental health. It was a little while before I was convinced; however, after some discussion, I agreed to remove the Shopping section, and add Mental Health in its place. (I did consider throwing in topics about interpersonal relationships, so it would become "Social and Mental Health"; however, in the end, I decided against that. I can always do it at a later date if I decide that this would be helpful after all!)

In this part of the board, you can discuss all mental health topics, as well as seeking advice with any mental health issues you're suffering at the moment, and give such advice to your fellow members. In order to give members a bit of privacy while they do this, this new subforum is visible to members only: guests and users awaiting activation cannot see it. However, we must emphasise that this section is NOT a replacement for seeking professional help - for a full disclaimer and more information, please see the "Mental Health - Introduction and Disclaimer" thread pinned at the top of that sub-forum.

I hope you find the new Mental Health section to be useful - and, enjoy posting in it :) !

RE: Shopping removed; Mental Health added - loves2chat - 08-08-2021

Thanks Kyng for being willing to give this a try. I hope it will be a sucess and useful for people. :)

RE: Shopping removed; Mental Health added - Kyng - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 12:56 PM)loves2chat Wrote: Thanks Kyng for being willing to give this a try. I hope it will be a sucess and useful for people. :)

You're welcome :D !

I certainly hope it'll be a success too :) . And one other benefit I forgot to mention in the opening post is that I hope this will shift the emphasis of 'Health and Lifestyle' back towards the health aspects - since that part of the board was just turning into a second General Chat with slightly different topics.