The Coffee House

Full Version: Football hooliganism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Deleted User 8

This is a term that describes a group of people, that happen to be football fans, unexpectedly become angry or wish to raise hell and I always thought that was only a British thing. No, it happens everywhere in the world, upon a quick lookup on it at Wikipedia just there. Of course now there are security measures to combat this but, there's already been a history of needless carnage and disorder over the years, mostly orchestrated by stupid young boys that lack a conscious, or better proper manners.

It's the main reason why I was never into football because I always link it with violence and drunk Glaswegians on a Saturday night. Besides, football is supposed to be a sport to enjoy, not cause a fight. Things need to change here.

Discuss.
Would agree. It doesn't happen much in Canada, though. We have hockey hooliganism sometimes though. Headdesk

I'd say hooliganism at its worst (from what I've seen) is actually found in the Mediterranean (esp. Italy, Greece, the Former Yugoslavia, and Turkey) and South America. And it does need to change, but the problem is, how do you get the undesirable elements out? It's because fans idolise their teams that much that it's become like a religion to them. And as with any religion, the temptation to blend one's political/ethnoracial views into it is very strong. Case in point - the Rome Derby. For years it was held that Lazio fans were fascists and Roma fans were hard-core commies, and the street brawling between the two didn't help assuage that stereotype one bit, because it was always the Lazio fans throwing up the Nazi salutes. In recent years, Lazio the club has taken measures to distance itself from such things, but some of its "ultras" groups refuse to follow suit.

tl;dr: have fun stopping hooliganism at its roots. :(
Well, I haven't heard as much about it in recent years as I did in the early 2000s, which suggests that it isn't as big a problem today as it was back then (at least in Britain). 

I still hear about it more often than I would like to, though. We Brits still have a bad reputation for this kind of thing - which, sadly, is probably still justified :( .