The Coffee House

Full Version: Contest ideas and suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, so, you've had an idea for a contest. However, you don't want to start it out right away. There might be a number of reasons for this; for example: 

• You want to gauge interest from other members first, rather than starting a contest that nobody will enter; 
  • You're not sure how to make it work, and you want advice from other members on how it should be run;
  • You don't have time to run it, so you're leaving it here for someone else to pick up. 

So, if you just want to suggest a new contest, for any of the above reasons (or any other that you can think of), then this is the place to do it :) !

I'll start by suggesting that we do an "RPG character contest". This would be a little bit like the RPG contest from a while back - but, instead of starting a new RPG, you'd invent a character to be used in future RPGs. You'd write a profile for them, and post it in the "Profiles and Information" sub-forum of Role Playing. 

So, does that sound like something that people would be interested in?
Oh, that sounds so cool. I’d be willing to try it.
Why not have an rp contest to go along with it too?
(08-17-2018, 05:22 PM)Yami Yugi Wrote: [ -> ]Why not have an rp contest to go along with it too?

Yeah, we could certainly do that :)

We do have quite a lot of RPGs as it is - but then, I suppose it doesn't make much sense inventing new characters unless we're going to start new RPGs in which to use them :P !
Exactly why I made the suggestion.
I'd prolly give it a miss, just because every time I create characters it's too tempting to fit them into my writing rather than use them on here!! :P
(08-18-2018, 06:02 AM)Pyrite Wrote: [ -> ]I'd prolly give it a miss, just because every time I create characters it's too tempting to fit them into my writing rather than use them on here!! :P

Same here. :( I like the rp idea more.
Guesses: Vowels can only be guessed on every 5th guess (so, the 5th guess, the 10th guess, etc). All other guesses must be consonants, with the exception that if there are no more un-guessed consonants in the clue, vowels can be guessed immediately. Likewise, if there are no un-guessed vowels in the clue, consonants can be guessed immediately.

Numbers can be guessed as well.

How Revamped Hangman works: This variation of Hangman works very much like the popular game show "The Wheel of Fortune". The way this game works is that the players participating will earn points from the amount of correct words they guess in the game. The amount of points earned will equal to posts you can win from the game if you guess the word correctly. A neat little twist, and certainly rewarding too!

Prizes: The winner may have a username change or a custom badge in their sig. They will also win post counts equal to the amount of points they earned per game. Sometimes the winner may win prizes for the RP!

Point Distribution (based on correct guesses):

Vowels (A, E, I, O, U) - 5 points

Rare letters (J, K, Q, V, X, Z) - 3 points

Common letters (rest) - 1 point

Correct word guess - 10 point bonus

Correct guess without guessing letters - 15 point bonus

You get points based on how many letters are in the HM; S is still 1, but since there 3, you get 3 points; therefore you now have 4 points. 

The Change: in this version, the players ALL start off with zero points. If you get a letter right, you get the distributed point(s). If you get a letter wrong, you will lose points based off the distribution value they're given.

So if I guess the wrong value, I'd lose 5 points rather than gaining. Also values can go to the negative values, so be ready

Additionally, the winner gets to host the next round, if they choose to do so. However, if they do not do so within three days, they forfeit the right to do so, and anyone may start the next round.

Also, a person may look around Wikipedia for the answer, if need be.

Any name or word can be used, depending on the type of HM it is!
Interesting idea: the current Hangman format is pretty complicated.

My only suggestion is, rather than making vowels so OP that we need to place restrictions on when they can be used, we should probably make them less OP. I can think of two ways in which we could do this: 

• We could change around the points, so that vowels score 1 point; common consonants score 3 points; and rare ones score 5 points;

• If you'd like to keep the current "5-3-1" scoring system, we could introduce a penalty of 10 points if you guess a vowel and it isn't in the clue. So, for example, if you guess 'E', and there are no Es, then you lose 10 points. Adds a bit of jeopardy :P .

Also, how were we going to do the ribbon? Personally, I don't have any good ideas: the only ones I can think of are "You get the ribbon if you solve with 3 or fewer letters guessed", and "You get the ribbon if you accumulate X amount of points". However, I'm afraid I don't like either of those ideas: the former encourages blind guessing, while the latter turns ribbons into something that are just farmed, rather than earned through skilful play :( .
I wish I could help with the ribbon idea, but I don't have any ideas... my brain feels like mush right now. x.x

(08-20-2018, 06:16 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ] 
  • We could change around the points, so that vowels score 1 point; common consonants score 3 points; and rare ones score 5 points;

• If you'd like to keep the current "5-3-1" scoring system, we could introduce a penalty of 10 points if you guess a vowel and it isn't in the clue. So, for example, if you guess 'E', and there are no Es, then you lose 10 points. Adds a bit of jeopardy :P .

I do like this, it might work. Don't want it to be too complicated... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The reason why it was like that in the first place is so people don't use a bunch of vowels in a row, as it's kind of like cheating or an unfair advantage. If you get what I mean. 

Otherwise yeah, it's cool. :)
Pages: 1 2 3