The Coffee House

Full Version: Pandora to use only lab-made diamonds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:tch-pyrite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56972562 :tch-pyrite:

The world's biggest jeweller, Pandora, says it will no longer sell mined diamonds and will switch to exclusively laboratory-made diamonds.

Concerns about the environment and working practices in the mining industry have led to growing demand for alternatives to mined diamonds.

Pandora's chief executive, Alexander Lacik, told the BBC the change was part of a broader sustainability drive.

He said the firm was pursuing it because "it's the right thing to do".

They are also cheaper: "We can essentially create the same outcome as nature has created, but at a very, very different price."

Well, I guess this is one way to make diamond jewellery more accessible :P . I don't expect they'll replace natural diamonds: there will probably still be a demand for those among people who can afford them, but most people can't!

Still, I'm curious as to whether a layperson would notice the difference, or if you'd need to have experience or training to be able to tell these apart from natural diamonds.