The Coffee House

Full Version: Things that are widely believed, but not true
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Once again, it's been a while since I posted a "general knowledge" thread that wasn't tied to any particular subject area :P . So, here's another one, devoted to all the things that are widely-believed, but not actually true. All you need to do is say what these things are, and then set the record straight!

In order to prevent this thread from being overrun by notorious arguments, please adhere to the following:

1. Nothing related to present-day religious issues. This means, for example, nothing related to evolution vs creationism, and nothing related to the content of any religious scripture or holy book.

2. Nothing related to current or recent politics. This means nothing related to any national political figure of the past 10 years (e.g. Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Boris Johnson, Kim Jong-un), and nothing related to any world events from the past 20 years (e.g. the Iraq War, the Arab Spring, the COVID-19 pandemic). This is to be consistent with the policy previously established for 'Alternate History' vs. 'Current politics'.

3. Nothing related to any current news story - even a non-political one. Information about these changes so fast that something seemingly true today may be found untrue by tomorrow. Besides, it's better to discuss these events in their own thread :P .

4. Keep all posts fact-based in nature. This isn't an "Unpopular opinions" thread: it's for things that are widely-believed but demonstrably untrue, rather than widely-held opinions that you disagree with.

So, here's one to start off with:

1. The glass in medieval windows hasn't flowed to the bottom over hundreds of years. A lot of people have heard that glass is a highly viscous liquid, and they think they see evidence of this in Medieval windows, where the glass is thicker at the bottom than at the top. However, this is not what has happened: glass is simply too viscous to have reached the bottom of the window by now, as this page explains. (It is true that many Medieval windows are thicker at the bottom than at the top; however, that's because they didn't have uniform thickness when they were made, and they were placed with the thicker bit at the bottom because that was more stable!)

So, do you have any more to add?
I love stained glass windows. Interesting read   thank you for the share :)
The idea Boba Fett was a super lucky no-name is not entirely accurate. He was a major antagonist in the animated segment of the Star Wars Holiday special(which is the only part of the special to be legally available.) and referred to as the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy and right hand man of Vader himself so Boba Fett was always meant to be important.
(05-04-2021, 12:47 AM)JHG Wrote: [ -> ]The idea Boba Fett was a super lucky no-name is not entirely accurate. He was a major antagonist in the animated segment of the Star Wars Holiday special(which is the only part of the special to be legally available.) and referred to as the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy and right hand man of Vader himself so Boba Fett was always meant to be important.

For what it's worth: is that part of the Holiday Special still considered canon?

(I can't imagine that the entire special would be :lol: !)
(05-04-2021, 06:57 AM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2021, 12:47 AM)JHG Wrote: [ -> ]The idea Boba Fett was a super lucky no-name is not entirely accurate. He was a major antagonist in the animated segment of the Star Wars Holiday special(which is the only part of the special to be legally available.) and referred to as the greatest bounty hunter in the galaxy and right hand man of Vader himself so Boba Fett was always meant to be important.

For what it's worth: is that part of the Holiday Special still considered canon?

(I can't imagine that the entire special would be :lol: !)
It's classified as Legends now so not really.
I feel like this potentially ruins the thread for further things to add but it is also the most complete list of everything that is a common misconception: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...onceptions

I guess people can challenge themselves to find something not in the list or just share thoughts on anything in the list they might not have realised before now. XD
(05-04-2021, 05:02 PM)Moonface Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like this potentially ruins the thread for further things to add but it is also the most complete list of everything that is a common misconception: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co...onceptions

I guess people can challenge themselves to find something not in the list or just share thoughts on anything in the list they might not have realised before now. XD

Well, QI has run for 18 series now based on this kind of thing... and, as long as that list is, I don't think there's 18 series' worth of material on it :lol: . So, I'm sure there will be some that aren't on that list... I'll see if I can find any ;) .

However, if anybody wants to re-post any individual examples that are already on that list (besides the religious ones) - then, I'm completely fine with them doing that :) . Indeed, I don't expect people to check the list to see whether it's already there (on the contrary, if it is already there, then I don't want that to discourage them from posting it). After all, these are more likely to generate discussion when they're posted individually or in small groups, than if they're posted as part of very long list that a lot of people are going to "tl;dr" anyway :P .
Well, I found one that wasn't on that list :P .

It's often said that "only six people died in the Great Fire of London". However, the only truth to this claim is that there were only six specific people who were verified to have died. No records were kept of poor or middle-class people who lost their lives - and in any case, the blaze would almost certainly have left no recognisable remains of anybody who was trapped in it:

https://historyinnumbers.com/events/fire...ople-died/

Most likely, the true death toll was somewhere in the hundreds - which admittedly is still comparatively small for a fire that destroyed a city of 80,000 people, but it's quite a bit larger than six :P .
Soulcalibur and Sould Edge aren’t a good vs evil rivalry; It only appears that way in promotional material for the Soulcalibur franchise(not helping is the light vs darkness motif.) Considering, Soulcalibur is a shard of Soul Edge reforged into a new sword, it’s actually just as evil as it’s predecessor. Soul Edge might as well say “I’m evil yes, but at least I admit it.”
A totally opposite one as supposed to be in this thread.

Hitler never personally ordered to execute the "Final Solution". It's not widely known, but true. There is, as of now, no known record of Hitler personally ordering it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8