The Coffee House

Full Version: Facebook apologises for censuring local dish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi...m-56123592

Facebook has apologised for censuring a Black Country history group after members discussed a traditional local dish.

The group's administrator said she had "sleepless nights" after the account was threatened with deletion.

The social media giant has since accepted the wording it targeted was used in culinary context.

Faggots and peas is a traditional dish served in a part of the West Midlands that includes Wolverhampton, West Bromwich and Dudley.

"Our systems clearly made a mistake here," a Facebook spokesperson said, accepting a homophobic slur was not the intention.

Wow... I can only assume that this was either bad AI, or plain ignorance on the part of their human staff (or both :facepalm: ). Some words are offensive in one sense and innocuous in another - and, AI can be very bad at telling them apart (even in blindingly obvious cases like this).

I'm glad Facebook apologised - but, it's sad that the group's administrator was put through this to begin with :( ...
funnily enough that word is also slang for a bundle of sticks if memory serves.

it wasn't until the last century that it took on it's derogatory meaning.
(02-21-2021, 03:58 AM)Spook of the lost Wrote: [ -> ]funnily enough that word is also slang for a bundle of sticks if memory serves.

it wasn't until the last century that it took on it's derogatory meaning.

You know, this makes me wonder: what other words, which are innocuous today, will become derogatory in the future? I guess there's no way of knowing, because the offensive meanings often come out of nowhere :P .
you mean like how gay used to mean a positive attitude but now also refers to homosexuals?

Hmm, well I can tell you that Karen is a recent one.

It used to be just a name but. Now it refers to entitled idiots who are unreasonable and occasionally violent.
The semantic process in question is called "pejoration." And as with all semantic shifts, there's really no way of predicting it. :P
Really algorithms need to be thrown out. They are the problem. If a real person, with a brain, were to look at the context there is zero way this can be taken offensively. Shrug
(02-21-2021, 06:52 PM)Oscar Wrote: [ -> ]Really algorithms need to be thrown out. They are the problem. If a real person, with a brain, were to look at the context there is zero way this can be taken offensively. Shrug
This.

Language is so much more complex than any algorithm that is out there. It comes down to money and laziness that algorithms are even used at all over real-person moderation on Facebook. I can understand it in live chats where things come and go so quickly, but Facebook? Ehh, no.