The Coffee House

Full Version: Wristband to tell boss when you're unhappy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55637328

At first glance the silicone wristband could be mistaken for one that tracks your heart rate when you are doing exercise.

However, the wearable technology, called a Moodbeam, isn't here to monitor your physical health. Instead it allows your employer to track your emotional state.

The gadget, which links to a mobile phone app and web interface, has two buttons, one yellow and one blue. The idea is that you press the yellow one if you are feeling happy, and the blue one if you are sad.

Aimed at companies who wish to monitor the wellbeing of staff who are working from home, the idea is that employees are encouraged to wear the wristband (they can say no), and press the relevant button as they see fit throughout the working week.

Managers can then view an online dashboard to see how workers are feeling and coping. With bosses no longer able to check in physically with their team, Moodbeam hopes to bridge the gap.

Sounds like a nice idea - although, I don't know how well it'd work in the real world, even if the technology is perfect. The first problem is, even though employees can say 'no', it might end up being a 'volondire'-type situation, where there are negative consequences for not using it. Secondly, I can see employees feeling pressured to press the yellow button, even when they're feeling sad.

Still, if it's used the way that it's intended, it might prove helpful :) .
I really have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is a good way of keeping track of employees' mental health, but I can see a potential for misuse if the wrong kind of boss starts using it. :blink:
anyone ever see psychopass?

because that's what happens when you let tech like this become accepted over time...
mine would explode from the rage felt for the corporate branch that ignores the rules for travel between states. this is honestly not a good idea imo, because it wont really lead to any real change inside a workplace but used as a tool to cut people from the job that dont conform.