The Coffee House

Full Version: Acquired tastes in entertainment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes, the first time we watch a new show, or listen to a new band, we don't like them. However, once we become more familiar with them, we stop being bothered by what initially put us off them, and they begin to grow on us. Here's a topic for all of these 'acquired tastes' - whether they're genres, specific shows, specific actors or characters, bands, authors, or anything else from the world of entertainment :P .

Over in the "Funny game show moments" thread, I mentioned Steve Harvey as an example of this. When I first saw clips of him hosting Family Feud, I didn't like him: I thought he was too brash and 'in your face' for my tastes. However, once I got used to that, I began to be really amused by his overreactions to everything. He's so easy to troll - and both the contestants and the board seem to do that to him quite a lot :lol: .

So, do you have any more?
I'm gonna stay in the same lane and call out Drew Carey hosting The Price is Right.  From the time I was able to walk and talk, all I knew was Bob Barker hosting the show and the familiar catchphrase, "Come On Down!"  Drew took over in 2007 when Bob retired.  I wasn't able to get on board with him at first, but what I saw him doing gave new life to the show.  He's doing a bang up job now through this pandemic.  So it's safe to say that Drew grew on me.
I used to hate Linkin Park when I heard one of their older songs in an AMV in 2007. Later that same year, I bought Meteora, listened to it over and over, and loved it. They're still one of my favorite bands, though I'm not as into them as I used to be.

When I saw commercials for My Little Pony toys as a kid, I thought they were dumb. Now I have too much merch and have seen all the episodes of the FiM show. I like how cute and colorful the characters are, and the toys are fun to fiddle with. xD

(Two completely different examples, I know!)
Another one for me was Anne Robinson. When I first saw her on The Weakest Link back in 2000 or 2001, she was very different from anything I was used to on a quiz show: she just seemed straight-up mean to the contestants. However, the format of the quiz itself was good, so I stuck around in spite of my initial dislike of her. And then, once the initial shock had worn off, she began to grow on me, and I found her put-downs of the contestants rather funny :lol: . Indeed, without her 'strict headmistress' demeanour, The Weakest Link wouldn't have been half the show it was!

The fact that she won't be on the revival does have me worried, but we'll see, I guess :P .
I think Sanrio tends to be an acquired taste for people, especially ones that aren’t into being ‘girly’ as much.

I have noticed that over the years. Doesn’t really bother me xD As long as everyone accepts and respects each other.

Pokémon tends to be less of an acquired taste, especially now; although, sadly, that’s also lead to a lot more toxic fans coming into the community, too…

While I notice that Sanrio is pretty non toxic in terms of fandom (lots of people on hello sweet days are pretty caring towards others). Go figure :P