The Coffee House

Full Version: Light or dark themes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On forums, Discord, and other places that allow you to select and customise themes, do you have a general preference for light or dark themes? 

Personally, I tend to prefer light themes, because I find that they make the text stand out better from the background (whereas on dark themes, I find that the background often stands out from the text, which isn't what you want). One exception to this, though, is Discord: I use the dark theme on that, because the light theme just makes my eyes bleed.

I think the secret to making a light theme work is a good colour palette which breaks the screen up (for example, most forum themes have a different background colour for the title bars). On the other hand, light themes with a 'minimal for mobiles' look to them, which fill the entire screen with one background colour, are gross and overpowering. The light theme on Discord falls into this trap, as does the TapaTalk default theme :X .

What about you?
Dark for me, don't like burning my retinas.

Deleted User 8

Light, because dark themes cause too much glare for this laptop screen, even when the light of my bedroom window hits against its screen.
I use dark themes by default but I will use mixed or light themes as well sometimes.
Dark. Definetly dark for the most part. :P
I typically prefer dark themes but I don't always pick them.
I typically use dark themes, and most themes I create are dark. I sometimes use a mixed theme, but rarely use light themes.
I usually prefer darker themes, though the time of day also has an impact on which I use if there are options.
Since I started this thread, I'd say my preferences have changed a little bit. I still prefer light themes in general, but I don't mind dark themes as much as I once did.

(I think I sub-consciously associate dark themes with gaming - and so, I quite like seeing darker themes on gaming-centric sites and forums :P !!!!)
For me, Darker themes are easier on my eyes.
Pages: 1 2