The Coffee House

Full Version: Favourite version? - Dreams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, it's another of these :P .

This time, the song in question is 'Dreams', originally released by Fleetwood Mac in 1977:

A little over 20 years later, in 1998, Irish band The Corrs did a cover version, with a bit more of a Celtic feel to it:

Which do you prefer? And do you know of any other versions which you think deserve a mention?
Edited the spelling in the polls. It's the Corrs, not the Coors. They make music, not beer. :P

I know this is heckin' controversial, what I'm about to say, but I much prefer the Corrs version, for the simple reason that I have NEVER been able to stand Stevie Nicks' voice.
(10-21-2020, 10:19 PM)Jarkko Wrote: [ -> ]Edited the spelling in the polls. It's the Corrs, not the Coors. They make music, not beer. :P

Whoops, I've obviously been spending too much time around :facepalm: .

Thanks for fixing that :) !
(10-21-2020, 10:19 PM)Jarkko Wrote: [ -> ]Edited the spelling in the polls. It's the Corrs, not the Coors. They make music, not beer. :P

I know this is heckin' controversial, what I'm about to say, but I much prefer the Corrs version, for the simple reason that I have NEVER been able to stand Stevie Nicks' voice.

I mean Stevie Nicks' voice isn't uh...the most pleasant (I have heard way worse, like hear some old timely jazz/blues), but its perfect for the folk subgenres of music (which Fleetwood does)
That being said I hate recordings from live events normally and Fleetwood Mac's best is in the recording studio, but Stevie's live performance of "Landslide" is the gold standard for that song.

Fleetwood notes:
You can easily hear echoing of Stevie's voice.
You can hear the backup vocals clearly too even the tone down ones, all voices are distinct and in their own place but
Bass is prominent (at least with the headphones I am using as I know they boost bass ranges at bit)

Corr notes
There is some light reverb or echoing in the first line, but the singer just sounds flat (not note wise, just with vocals)
I am pretty sure its been auto tuned
The backing "oohs" and "aahhs" are breathy, lack confidence and, lack purpose
The beat machine as the bass is doing no favors to this song
The Celtic influences in the song are out of place, and don't feel natural in timing nor thematically (in terms of arrangement)
This song is having an identity crisis where it wants to be folk (based on the songs heritage and the Celtic parts) but its just over taken by late 90s pop beat machine, studio effects and, I seriously suspect it has been auto tuning.
The sound effects are distracting at what should be some of the best parts of the song (e.g. 2:15) where the backing vocals and singer are suppose to build up.
The round (only two voices though not three, I have no idea what that is called) is distracting

I am going with Fleetwood.
Short & Simple for me, FM for me.