The Coffee House

Full Version: 90-year-old lighthouse gets colourful makeover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spain https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/s...lighthouse Spain

[Image: Uc6ggvO.jpg]
(Source: Roman G Aguilera / Above article)

A 90-year-old lighthouse perched on a lush cape in northern Spain is at the centre of a cultural row after a dazzling paint job by a local artist left the tower outshining its lamp – and some critics blanching.

For almost a century, the lighthouse, near the Cantabrian town of Ajo, was a mute, monochrome sentry beaming its light out over the Atlantic.

Now, thanks to a commission from the local council and the port authority, the 16-metre tower is a collision of colours, geometric shapes and animals, which is intended to boost visitor numbers to one of the lesser known spots on the coast of Spain.

According to the regional government, some of the money raised through marketing or events at the site will go to funding food banks in the area.

The recently completed project, called Infinite Cantabria, is the work of the artist Okuda San Miguel, who was born in the region’s capital, Santander, and who often draws on his roots for inspiration.

Yeah, I can definitely see why this would be controversial. Some people like the representation of indigenous peoples in this paint job; others think it's disrespectful to the town's architectural heritage; and others just love or hate the extremely bright colours :P .

Myself, I think it's nice to see something a bit different and eye-catching; however, I hope it's not permanent, and the lighthouse is eventually restored to something more conventional. What do you think of of it?
Nah, this coloring should be permanent!
I like it and think it could draw a lot of people to want to see it in person.