The Coffee House

Full Version: Marvel's Avengers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54058061

Thor spins his hammer Mjolnir, and smashes a robot from outer space to smithereens.

He's defending planet earth, a job he's been doing for nearly 50 years in comics, on TV and - most notably recently - in films.

But this time, the Thor on screen looks and sounds a bit different. And he'll behave differently depending on who's playing.

Because this isn't the movies. It's a new game featuring the Avengers.

But according to the actor bringing Thor to life for it, this isn't just a poor imitation of the hugely successful Marvel blockbusters.

Looking at the Metacritic reviews for this thing, they're not great: it has a score of 67/100 from critics, and 5.3/10 from users. Interestingly, there are lots of mixed reviews from critics, whereas the user reviews from users are basically a 50/50 split of positive and negative, with relatively few mixed scores (I guess because people with strong opinions about the game are much more likely to submit a review to begin with :P ).

The positive reviews seem to be a bit of a muddle: some are praising the story (while others are not); some are saying the gameplay is addictive (while others find it repetitive); and overall it raises more questions than answers. However, when I read the negative reviews, there's one word that comes up quite frequently... and that word is 'microtransactions'. A pity, because the concept of this game seems cool :( .

So, does anybody have this game - and, if so, what do you think of it?
I've seen this but after seeing the price I said no way because I'm too much of a cheapskate. :P I did think it looked interesting. Is it just about Thor or is my Tony Stark in it too? I don't mean just Iron Man, I want the actual guy behind that title. :wub:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is probably better.
(09-15-2020, 04:31 PM)Nilla Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen this but after seeing the price I said no way because I'm too much of a cheapskate. :P I did think it looked interesting. Is it just about Thor or is my Tony Stark in it too? I don't mean just Iron Man, I want the actual guy behind that title. :wub:

Yeah, he's in the game - and, from my limited research, it seems he's there both as Iron Man and as Tony Stark.

Anyway, it seems that this game has disappointed the executives, with only 3 million copies sold. In order to try and make up that lost ground, they're announcing a load of new content, starting with Kate Bishop:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/marvel...low-sales/

I expect this will all be stuff that they had planned anyway, that they're just bringing forward as a desperate Hail Mary move. You don't start investing loads of money into a game that's failing :P .