The Coffee House

Full Version: Giant star mysteriously disappears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53235909

Astronomers have been baffled by the disappearance of a massive star they had been observing.

They now wonder whether the distant object collapsed to form a black hole without exploding in a supernova.

If correct, it would be the first example of such a huge stellar object coming to the end of its life in this manner.

But there is another possibility, the study in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society reports.

The object's brightness might have dipped because it is partially obscured by dust.

Well, this is weird :-/ . It's odd that it would disappear without going supernova... but, since the star is too far away to observe directly, we wouldn't necessarily have noticed the explosion if it had!

Then again, it might not be a supernova. I guess aliens might have gobbled it up :lol: .
Or someone invented red matter and shot it into the star, sucking it up. :P
I'll go with the alien theory :lol:
(07-01-2020, 09:05 AM)Pinky Wrote: [ -> ]I'll go with the alien theory :lol:
[Image: main-qimg-494b2d52ff9bf4be8c37148719e33074]
Dyson spheres.

the dust is merely the process and a chunk of dyson shell just happened to be moved into place while we were studying it.
(07-08-2020, 02:58 AM)Spook of the lost Wrote: [ -> ]Dyson spheres.

the dust is merely the process and a chunk of dyson shell just happened to be moved into place while we were studying it.

I mean, I suppose there is that :P .

Though, that would mean we were living under the watchful eye of a Kardashev Type II civilization... which I personally would find rather scary :wtf: ...
That's... quite a development right there.
How did the giant star mysteriously disappear?
(07-09-2020, 05:58 PM)Path Light Wrote: [ -> ]How did the giant star mysteriously disappear?

Nobody knows... if they did know, then it wouldn't be mysterious :lol: .
I've split the posts about Kardashev Type II civilisations into a separate thread:

https://tch-forum.com/showthread.php?tid=7076

Please continue any discussion of that issue there (and, in this thread, we can get back to the disappearing star :P )
Pages: 1 2