The Coffee House

Full Version: Cheaper "iPhone 9" (or SE 2?) to launch soon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mobile https://www.techradar.com/news/iphone-9-...-and-leaks Mobile

The iPhone 9 looks set to launch in the near future, finally bringing a new cheap iPhone that many have been waiting for since the iPhone SE was unveiled back in 2016.

However, where the previous budget model from Apple was designed for those that love a smaller phone, the new iPhone 9 (or maybe iPhone SE 2) looks set to be larger, aping the design first used on the iPhone 6. There may even be an iPhone 9 Plus.

While the cheaper iPhone 9 is likely to be popular in most countries, Apple will likely be bringing this out to also service more emerging markets, where cheaper phones sell well. These territories might have been able to buy the older iPhone 8, but offering a 'new' iPhone to them will have significant marketing power.

The new, lower-cost handset from Apple was originally expected to launch in March, but it wasn't unveiled alongside the iPad Pro 2020 or New MacBook Air.

The idea makes sense - although, if they go with the name "iPhone 9", then it'll be really confusing, since their main release line is up to "iPhone 11" now :-/ . Indeed, it sounds like this is aimed at the same segment of the market as the iPhone SE - so, to me, it'd make more sense to call it the "iPhone SE 2".

Of course, knowing Apple, they'll probably come up with something else, completely out of left-field :lol: !
I still have an SE.  Really don't need it and should just try to sell it for $40 or so on facebook marketplace.

I don't need another phone right now but would consider an SE2 if my XR ever dies or something.
I loved my SE. It was very hard to type on. That was my only gripe. 

I have the iPhone 8 now. They don't have anything new that's even close in terms of size, and honestly, even the 8+ era phones were too big for me. That said, the fact that they are going back to smaller phones is huge. Apple is listening to their customers again it seems (just look at the new Macbook Air that just came out), so I'm very pleased with what I've heard about it so far. I'll probably end up buying it.
Yeah, I can understand that. I much prefer the larger screen sizes myself (I find them much more pleasant to use due to the additional 'breathing space' for more content), but I will admit that it can be a pain to fit them into my pockets -_- .

Oh, well. I still have my laptop for anything that requires a large screen :lol: !
Tablets will be replacing laptops for some things this decade, most likely. A lot of people are already carrying around iPad pros with keyboards and using them instead. I mean, laptops won't replace everything, obviously. But it seems like laptops (or tablets) are getting smaller, and phones are getting bigger. And then there's the watch. 

Who knows, watches might get bigger. It'd be interesting to have a 2.5 inch screen sitting on your wrist, but it could happen. Small phones just aren't in style so much anymore. The watch is where portability is heading.
(03-25-2020, 02:19 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Tablets will be replacing laptops for some things this decade, most likely. A lot of people are already carrying around iPad pros with keyboards and using them instead. I mean, laptops won't replace everything, obviously. But it seems like laptops (or tablets) are getting smaller, and phones are getting bigger. And then there's the watch. 

Who knows, watches might get bigger. It'd be interesting to have a 2.5 inch screen sitting on your wrist, but it could happen. Small phones just aren't in style so much anymore. The watch is where portability is heading.

Yeah, I can certainly see some people opting for tablets, especially if they only use their computers for things like web browsing (for example, my mum has an iPad, which meets all of her needs). However, I myself have never been keen on tablets: I have my phone for doing quick things on the go, and my laptop for gaming and for more long-form stuff, so I have no need for a device that's sort of like both, but unable to replace either.

It'll be interesting to see where the 'smartwatch' trend goes - although, a 2.5-inch screen is too small for anything that I would want to do!
I'm much in agreement. I will say that I use my Kindle Fire pretty frequently to do assignments when I'm at work. It's much easier to do on the tablet than it is on a phone, but it's much easier to hide than a laptop is. 

The smartwatch trend hasn't truly taken off more than just a status statement/fad *yet*. The screens are much too small. But I wouldn't be surprised if wristband-sized watches arrived. They'd be a lot more useful than the current smartwatches with 46mm screens.
Yeah, I guess tablets are useful for situations like that :P . It's just that I've never encountered a situation like that in my own life.

And, I agree that smartwatches need to get larger before they'll be able to compete with phones (I'd say 4 inches at a minimum). If they did, though, then I'd be interested in one: it'd be nice not to have to worry about losing it, or damaging it when it falls out of my pocket :( !
I had an SE myself so I like hearing they're doing another. I killed mine in the washer. XD I would of liked to get the same model but where I get my phone service (well my sister's XD) they didn't have it. I ended up with a 7 Plus. I like it, but I liked how the SE actually fit neatly in my pocket. XD I do like the bigger screen though.
Apple has officially launched this as the "iPhone SE". It'll be available from 24th April, in three basic colours (black, white and red), and prices will start at $399 in the US, or £419 in the UK:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...66756.html

I have to admit, I think it's a little odd that they're simply reusing the "iPhone SE" designation without some kind of modifier (like "SE 2"). Also pretty annoying about the UK price: £419 is the equivalent of $517 at current exchange rates -_- ...