The Coffee House

Full Version: Scientists make air out of lunar dust
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Moon https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...92986.html Moon

A new oxygen plant built to produce oxygen out of Moon dust hopes to lay the foundations for the lunar base of the future.

The European Space Agency has opened the plant as part of its plans to send people to live on the Moon in the years to come.

If humans are to live on the lunar surface – a focus of space agencies around the world, and an important step for humanity's journey to Mars and beyond – they will need access to oxygen to breathe and create rocket fuel for travelling around.

The ESA hopes that the new plant can provide practical ways of creating that using the dust on the Moon's surface – known as regolith – in a way that could one day be transported there.

“Having our own facility allows us to focus on oxygen production, measuring it with a mass spectrometer as it is extracted from the regolith simulant,” said Beth Lomax of the University of Glasgow.

I have to admit, I wasn't aware that moon dust was useful for anything (apart from being a great portal conductor, I guess :P ). So, it's certainly helpful to have the ability to transform it into something so useful!

(Also, if we're able to make oxygen from that moon dust... does that mean we'll be able to use that oxygen in the production of water???)
could be interesting, further research into this could yield some interesting results.