The Coffee House

Full Version: Vast 'star nursery' found in Milky Way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51021704

Astronomers have discovered a vast structure in our galaxy, made up of many interconnected "nurseries" where stars are born.

The long, thin filament of gas is a whopping 9,000 light-years long and 400 light-years wide.

It lies around 500 light-years from our Sun, which is relatively close by in astronomical distances.

The discovery, outlined in the journal Nature, came from work to assemble a new map of the Milky Way.

An international team analysed data from the European Gaia space telescope, which was launched in 2013.

Given that this is relatively close, I'm quite surprised that we haven't spotted this yet :O !

Still, it does make me wonder... if our species is still around in millions of years' time, perhaps astronomers of the far future will be studying the lives and deaths of the stars we're seeing being formed now? (Or, heck, perhaps some other not-yet-evolved intelligent species will be :lol: ???)
That's amazing! :0 

I'm so glad space has places and things that can still be discovered. ^-^
Wonderful discovery and I admire the fact they named it the Radcliffe Wave, in honour of Harvard University's Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
(01-08-2020, 09:05 PM)Emerald Wrote: [ -> ]Wonderful discovery and I admire the fact they named it the Radcliffe Wave, in honour of Harvard University's Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Personally, I would've preferred it after some mythological creature or deity - although, I guess most of those names have already been used for stars, planets and asteroids :lol: !

A nice tribute nonetheless :) .