The Coffee House

Full Version: Israeli museum explains hieroglyphs with emojis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Israel https://phys.org/news/2019-12-israeli-mu...egypt.html Israel

[Image: 0uxuquh.jpg]
(Source: Above article)

How does an academic explain the importance of ancient hieroglyphics to modern audiences glued to their phones? Through the cunning use of emojis.

The Israel Museum in Jerusalem this week opened the "Emoglyphs" exhibition, comparing the pictograms of antiquity to those of today.

"I usually find it very hard to explain how hieroglyphs are used as a script," the show's curator, Shirly Ben-Dor Evian, told AFP.

"Then it occurred to me that some of the things can now be explained more easily because we are all writing with pictures now—it has become very widespread."

From the heart symbol to little monkeys and foaming glasses of beer, the pictograms of our own time have enlivened discussion on social media and online messaging since the late 1990s.

Well, I suppose it makes sense, since it's the same basic idea: using an image to represent a concept. I suppose that means we've come full circle, in a way :lol: .

Sounds like there are plenty of interesting items there too. I wonder whether they'll eventually be going anywhere else?