The Coffee House

Full Version: Vertical stages: Yay or nay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49625658

Phones at gigs, discuss.

From the serial snapper who fills the camera roll on their phone (or their tablet, you know who you are) to the "watch the band, not your phone" traditionalists, there's a blurry spectrum of where fans and musicians stand on the best gig etiquette.

The debate went up a notch this week when Mabel performed what's been dubbed the world's first "vertical gig" on a three-tiered stage.

Its designers called it "a gift for a fans' Snap and Insta Stories" which "should stimulate some debate around live music staging conventions for a Generation Z audience".

"I'm definitely not a purist when it comes to the whole no phones at gigs rule," Charli XCX tells Newsbeat.

For me, it's a solid 'Do not care', since I don't go to gigs anyway :P . Though, I can definitely see why those who use their phones would like this - but others would regret the loss of a connection to the performers on their stage.

What are your thoughts?