The Coffee House

Full Version: Marbles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: S13DHYc.png]
(Source: Public Domain)

So, who here likes marbles :P ?

These toy spheres come in all kinds of different colours: some of them are one solid colour; others are multi-coloured; and some are see-through, with perhaps a little coloured bit inside. They also come in a variety of sizes and materials: they can be made out of real marble, but you're more likely to find glass or plastic ones these days. Over the centuries, they've been used in a wide variety of games: sometimes they're rolled, and other times they're just used as counters or playing pieces.

Myself, I always enjoyed playing with these. I had quite a lot of plastic track pieces for building marble runs: it was a good chance to get creative by combining straight and curved pieces. Or, other times, I would build a tower out of dominoes, and then roll marbles at it to try and knock it down :P . Then I also had sets of other games (such as Solitaire) which used marbles as the playing pieces, but I guess those games are a matter for another thread, really!

What about you?
I loved them. I always think of the marbles my great aunt had that I always played with. They’re just pretty to look at. I think I still have a set of marbles.
(08-24-2019, 04:48 PM)Megan Wrote: [ -> ]I loved them. I always think of the marbles my great aunt had that I always played with. They’re just pretty to look at. I think I still have a set of marbles.

Nice :D . What do they look like?

Most of mine are just the standard "Cat's eye" design, which are see-through with a multi-coloured stripe. From memory, some of them had a red/blue/yellow coloured stripe, and some had a green/blue/yellow one. There may have been some in other colours, but those were the two main ones.

(I probably still have quite a few of them somewhere!)
My brother used to collect marbles, so I did use to play with them.
(09-07-2019, 10:59 AM)Opal Fruit Wrote: [ -> ]My brother used to collect marbles, so I did use to play with them.

Nice :)

Did he have any that you particularly liked?
Its been YEARS since I've seen em. I think they were all kinds of colors. Actually my dad found a box of marbles in his dresser a few weeks back. Pretty sure those were hers.

I have some in one of my totes (different set). I think those ones are blue.
I used to buy marbels for ten cents a piece when I was a wee lad.... endless fun they provided.

I remember being particularly fond of the clashing sound they made when they ricochet'd off the walls and/or against each other.

I think I still have a few lying around.
Well, I got rid of the marble run stuff yesterday. It had just been lying in its box for years (and that wasn't realistically going to change), and it wasn't really in good enough condition to give to anybody else.

It's a bit sad, but the house is cluttered, and it needs cleaning out, so I guess it had to go :( .
Today I saw kids playing with marbles on the sidewalk, which brought a huge smile to my face.

In this era of technological arrest, it is downright refreshing seeing something like that again.
I used to love marbles when I was younger and I had whole bunch but over the years of moving they got lost.
Pages: 1 2