The Coffee House

Full Version: Help me decide!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I seriously have no idea if this would be the best spot for this but well oh well. XD

I thought I had decided this, but worry wart me still feels torn. Anyway been debating on moving my forum over to MyBB.

phpBB: https://caludin.com
MyBB: https://dook.caludin.com

And some various thoughts I've had on it.

phpBB

Pros
  • Themes look decent (and I know how to do them)
  • Lots of extensions which are easy to install.
  • A lot of features are already installed.
  • Don't run into a ton of problems.
Cons
  • E-Mail Notification system is a bit odd and confusing
MyBB

Pros
  • Theme looks a lot better.
  • E-Mail Notification system works a lot better.
Cons
  • Changing images for themes seems a bit more tricky.
  • Less plugins.
  • Some features that seem to come with other software you have to add.

So those are some stuff I'm thinking about. But I would LOVE some feedback (PLEASE!) Would you guys rather stay on phpBB and keep stuff as is or go to MyBB?
Please go with MyBB.

PhpBB, while once a great and leading platform, has been mangled horrifyingly. Not worth it... I do nt even know how to use it anymore.
I would say if its already running on phpBB just keep it, I have ran in to many issues with the premission masks on myBB that it became very frustrating trying to figure out why some group was able to see what they should not be able to despite not being in any groups that had access to it, and there was one case where it was just one person.
(04-09-2019, 09:10 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: [ -> ]I would say if its already running on phpBB just keep it, I have ran in to many issues with the premission masks on myBB that it became very frustrating trying to figure out why some group was able to see what they should not be able to despite not being in any groups that had access to it, and there was one case where it was just one person.

This. I think that phpBB offers more customisation and is easier to use as a whole. Plus, it’s what you’re more comfortable with. If there isn’t a way as well to transfer the posts, that would also suck.
I dunno; you decide!
I say go with mybb. Yea posts maybe lost but its not like they can't be remade or moved over. *shrug*
MyBB, because it doesn't get infested with spambots as much as phpBB.
(04-10-2019, 03:23 PM)BrynStevens Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB, because it doesn't get infested with spambots as much as phpBB.

It gets infested just it has a built in tool that catches supicious account creations and notifies admins.

I would be surprised if phpBB doesn't have some sort of mod/plugin for that.
(04-10-2019, 03:25 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: [ -> ]I would be surprised if phpBB doesn't have some sort of mod/plugin for that.
One admin of a forum that used to be on the platform had a "sortables" CAPTCHA which kept them all away, and worked perfectly. From there, every new member was a verified human.
Most of the issues you have with MyBB seem to be related to the setup and the learning curve. So, what I'd suggest is: try to set up your MyBB board such that it has everything you want on it (not just the basics), and if you're able to do that, then make the switch.

But, stick with phpBB until you've got all of that working.
Pages: 1 2