The Coffee House

Full Version: New kind of magnet discovered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.techexplorist.com/scientists...net/20823/

[Image: bmXewGO.jpg]
In a normal magnetic material, dense magnetic moments try to align with their neighbors (left). By contrast, in a singlet-based material, unstable magnetic moments pop in and out of existence, and stick to one another in aligned clumps (right).
(Source: Lin Miao / NYU / Above article)

A team of scientists at New York University has developed a new type of magnet -singlet-based magnet- that holds promise for enhancing the performance of data storage technologies.

The magnet consists of USb2 (a compound of uranium and antimony) and thus it generates magnetism in a different way than any other magnet known to scientists. By contrast, the newly uncovered singlet-based magnet has fields that pop in and out of existence, resulting in an unstable force—but also one that potentially has more flexibility than conventional counterparts.

Andrew Wray, an assistant professor of physics at New York University, who led the research team said, “There’s a great deal of research these days into the use of magnets and magnetism to improve data storage technologies. Singlet-based magnets should have a more sudden transition between magnetic and non-magnetic phases. You don’t need to do as much to get the material to flip between non-magnetic and strongly magnetic states, which could be beneficial for power consumption and switching speed inside a computer.”

This is rather strange. The fact that the magnetic field is unstable sounds like a hindrance to anyone hoping to apply it in the real world - but, they already reckon they can use this in data storage. Good luck to them on getting this to work - and, indeed, in finding other applications!
^For anyone who wants clarification:

A "stable" magnetic field means it does not change easily when you do something to try to change it. For computing purposes, one generally wants to change the magnetic states quickly so that data can be written/erased easily. Hence, an "unstable" magnetic field is preferred for data storage, because you don't need to do much to overcome the barriers of such stability.

*The proper scientific word isn't "stable/unstable" here, but whatevs.
Ah, that makes sense. I had assumed that 'unstable' would mean it was susceptible to change when you didn't want it to change - but, evidently, that's not what they meant.

Thanks for the explanation :) !
The irony of a compound called USb2 potentially being used in data storage... :P 

Makes sense that something that switches in and out quickly might be useful for data writing. Will be interesting to see where this goes.
(02-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Pyrite Wrote: [ -> ]The irony of a compound called USb2 potentially being used in data storage... :P 
You know, that makes me wonder whether they did this on purpose. It could be that the exact metals don't matter too much (and there are hundreds of different compounds that would work for this), but they picked that one just because they wanted to make a chemical pun!
(02-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Pyrite Wrote: [ -> ]The irony of a compound called USb2 potentially being used in data storage... :P 

Makes sense that something that switches in and out quickly might be useful for data writing. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Bloody heck how did I miss that?! That reminds me of Sodium Citrate's (the ingredient in getting Nacho cheese its melty-ness) chemical formula is Na2C6H507
But I can hear it now "But...but....I have USB 3.1, it must be better!".

But I am polarized on this, on the Negative sideit makes recovering data harder from crash HDDs and when people end up accidentally deleting stuff from their HDD.
On the positive side, it might make the need to physically destroying the HDD that had PHI/PII on it not needed and then could sell the hard drive with the other computer equipment. But I suspect by the time that this is perfected, the would would have fully/mostly moved on to SSDs so it would be limited to enterprise uses(mass data storage. servers. etc).
(02-16-2019, 02:12 PM)Kyng Wrote: [ -> ]
You know, that makes me wonder whether they did this on purpose. It could be that the exact metals don't matter too much (and there are hundreds of different compounds that would work for this), but they picked that one just because they wanted to make a chemical pun! 

I wouldn't be surprised - having worked in research for a couple of years now, that sort of thing does seem to happen, especially when chemicals or new techniques get named!
The thought of a new magnet scares me. But that is so cool!